SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-05, 11:11 AM   #11
wolverine04uk

I replaced the Metzeler Mez4s with Bridgestone Bt020s and I really can't believe the difference it has made, as said its like a new bike. Feels so much more sure in wet and dry and turns with much more stablity.
Old 15-04-05, 11:20 AM   #12
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
3. Some of the bike shops sell a tinted insert that you can quickly insert or remove from your lid, have you thought about that ?
I bought one of those and it seems to work fine, only Joe tells me it still illegal! However, it's easier to carry around then a second helmet.

Probably easiest is to get some polarised sunglasses. Helps a lot when it's wet and the sun is low.
I think they are illegal, its to do with the amount of light they let through

I still prefer my dark visor though, but I do carry around my clear one and its really easy to swap them over on my Shoei

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-05, 11:26 AM   #13
The Mass

Just ordered my Dark visor for my lid.

Should be here tomorrow. And I'm 50/50 if it'll fit. Will let you know when it turns up.

Ahh well worth a try anyway, if it doesn't then I can send it back, and I'll make do with the inserts.
Old 15-04-05, 11:29 AM   #14
Steve H

They may be illegal, but i would be pretty pi**ed if a copper pulled me up for that alone...................cue rant about the state of the nation!
Old 15-04-05, 05:10 PM   #15
Nagai

Not a good idea to wear shades under your lid. Have a google for pics of bikers who have chucked it down the road while wearing glasses, and you will see what I mean.

Also, technically it is illegal to wear sunglasses with your lid.
Old 15-04-05, 05:40 PM   #16
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagai
Also, technically it is illegal to wear sunglasses with your lid.
Only if you open the visor and the sunnies aren't approved to the correct standard; otherwise it's perfectly legal.
Old 15-04-05, 06:39 PM   #17
Nagai

Correct.
Old 16-04-05, 08:20 PM   #18
Steve W

I think one of the problems is that riding a bike in the rain feels very different from riding in the dry... there is a natural inclination to be more tense which makes it that much more difficult to ride smoothly which (as has been said) is the real key. I was never sure whether the Dunlops were problematic or it was me... I've recently swapped bikes and am more inclined to think the tyres didn't help... I think another problem is that cagers don't drive differently in the wet and that increases anxiety in bikers!

On the tiredness front I have decided not to commute by bike if I'm especially tired or stressed; however, if I catch it right commuting by bike can be a good antidote to both tiredness and stress, particulary when filtering past long queues of cagers!

Personally, I have always found sunglasses an adequate solution but admittedly when commuting I'm going south west in the mornings and north east in the evenings.

Have fun on your new SV - it made me realise what I'd be missing after 20 years without a bike.