SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 09-09-07, 05:42 PM   #1
jimmy4237

Default Biker killed on St. Mary's Loch the day

Did that wee run we did last week on the no brakes ZX9R the day. Just went a wee bit slower than my usual. Got down to Moffat from Hamilton in about an hour, got lunch at Moffat and sauntered down the St. Mary's Loch road to find it closed off 10 mile from the cafe and a row of bikes coming towards me.

Turns out a man and his wife on a bike hit an oncoming car near the cafe. The poor bloke was killed instantly. The wife is critical. I saw the police accident investigation unit van screaming towards the cafe with all the blues and two's blaring.

RIP whoever the poor bloke was....
Old 09-09-07, 08:41 PM   #2
kitkat

Default Re: Biker killed on St. Mary's Loch the day

Old 09-09-07, 10:14 PM   #3
-Ralph-

Not good to hear. Not usual to see a Man and wife caning it two up either, so I bet the cage was doing something daft!
Old 10-09-07, 05:16 AM   #4
SVTONYB

wonder if they had any kids
Old 10-09-07, 08:58 AM   #5
-Ralph-

Unhappy Re: Biker killed on St. Mary's Loch the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTONYB View Post
wonder if they had any kids
I'll certainly be riding very carefully with my wife on pillion once there's a child to think about, the thought of orphaning your kids in one accident....
Old 10-09-07, 05:48 PM   #6
SVTONYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I'll certainly be riding very carefully with my wife on pillion once there's a child to think about, the thought of orphaning your kids in one accident....
It doesnt bear thinking about

Heard today that it was a fire tender that they collided with and there is to be a full enquiry, Dont know if it was attending a call or not
Old 10-09-07, 11:42 PM   #7
independentphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News Website
Tribute biker killed in collision

A motorcyclist has died while taking part in a tribute run to Borders superbike champion Steve Hislop.
The 38-year-old from Dundee, who has not been named, was killed after he collided with a fire engine, returning from an earlier road accident.
Lothian and Borders Police said the collision happened on the A708, near Yarrowford at about 1330 BST on Sunday.
The road, which runs from Selkirk to Moffat, was closed for five hours as investigators examined the scene.
The biker was one of 1,200 motorcyclists taking part in the tribute to 41-year-old Hislop, who died in a helicopter crash in 2003. According to police, the 38-year-old's bike veered across the road and hit the fire engine, which was en-route back to the station after attending another collision in Dumfries and Galloway. Lothian and Borders Police have appealed for witnesses to the collision to come forward.
Sad news as ever. The driver (EFAD) of the fire appliance will now be on suspension regardless of where he was on the road and what speed he was travelling at. As is the case with so many of these incidents, he probably won't drive for work again.

Like all these things, we'll never know the full and true story, since we weren't there. Unless of course is was captured on the cab mounted, CCTV camera- which is so often needed on appliances these day because the public like to throw bricks at them, or drive into their path before suing etc etc.

R.I.P. brother.
Old 13-09-07, 08:05 PM   #8
MiniBlueflame

i feel sorry 4 him R.I.P. guy who got hit
Old 13-09-07, 11:21 PM   #9
Tartan Terror

Terrible news. RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentphoto View Post
Like all these things, we'll never know the full and true story, since we weren't there. Unless of course is was captured on the cab mounted, CCTV camera- which is so often needed on appliances these day because the public like to throw bricks at them, or drive into their path before suing etc etc.

R.I.P. brother.
My dad's overseeing the Fire Brigade investigation to the one with the fire appliance - it was on its way to a bike accident but was taking it steady because the rider was ok and they were just required to mop up the spilled petrol. They weren't using the lights or sirens and were within the speed limit when the bike hit them head-on.

The driver hasn't been suspended but in many cases it is true that he/she will be blamed (regardless of fault) if they were on their way to a shout.