SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-01-18, 11:11 PM   #11
DomP

Default Re: Insurance headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
All you need to do is tell the insurer you have sold the bike, you do not have to cancel the policy.
Tell them you're looking around for another bike and you will get back to them when you need to change the bike on the policy.
Then let it run till the end and collect your NCD.
Tried that but Carole Nash wouldn't have it

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-18, 11:47 PM   #12
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
How?
As I understand it, it's to do with the statutory legal requirements for the insurers of a vehicle to pay up in the event of a claim, and if you have an insurance policy for the vehicle even if you no longer own nor keep it, they can seek to recover costs from you. It's discussed quite a lot, for example here https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthre...aim-against-me , though that thread didn't seem to have a clean outcome, but it gives the general idea.
Basically, when you sell/dispose of a vehicle you declare it to your insurers.
Old 12-01-18, 11:51 PM   #13
DomP

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
As I understand it, it's to do with the statutory legal requirements for the insurers of a vehicle to pay up in the event of a claim, and if you have an insurance policy for the vehicle even if you no longer own nor keep it, they can seek to recover costs from you. It's discussed quite a lot, for example here https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthre...aim-against-me , though that thread didn't seem to have a clean outcome, but it gives the general idea.
Basically, when you sell/dispose of a vehicle you declare it to your insurers.
I thought I'd be able to simply inform them I'd sold it and they let the policy see out the last 2 weeks to get me my 3rd year ncb but CN say that's not possible.

Old 13-01-18, 12:38 AM   #14
embee
Mega Poster

Insurers work in mysterious ways their wonders to perform, but I imagine the basic issue is that the policy is attached to a vehicle, if you no longer want to insure that or another vehicle the policy has nothing to be attached to. It's not insuring you, it's covering the specified vehicle when used by you or other specified drivers.

I seem to recall some insurers allowing a short period allowing for change of vehicle, but I suspect it's up to them how they do it. Remember you're dealing with a broker not an insurer. It might be worth a call to the actual insurer providing your policy, it will be written down somewhere who they are, nothing to lose.

I'm no expert on insurance and may be talking drivel.
Old 13-01-18, 11:01 AM   #15
DomP

All sorted, it's been taken away on a trailer and the guy is in the RAF and going away for a month so won't be using it so I can pretty safely let my policy run