SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum



SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-19, 12:57 PM   #1
aesmith
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 928
Default Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

Hi,
I wonder if someone could confirm that the chain and sprockets are interchangeable for all faired pointies? Looking at listings for sale people seems to quote all sorts of overlapping date ranges, one kit supposedly fits from 1999 to 2007, another 1999-2002, another 1999-2009.

Are there in fact any differences other than the faired/unfaired difference of 44 vs 45 teeth at the back?

Thanks,
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 07:20 AM   #2
Seeker
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NE Lincs
Posts: 423
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

I thought this would be a straightforward question to answer but I'm now confused. I haven't had experience of this myself so I checked part numbers. If you go to this page for the 2011-2014 SV:
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/brows...ur/all-colours
and scroll down to transmission which is where the chain and front sprocket are to be found, you'll see 4 options. The top 2 options show a 108 link chain (maybe the N model), the next option 650SAL1-E24 shows a 114 link chain so that's the S model (with ABS?), right? But, the next one down is the 650SUL1-E24 and it's back to a 108 link and yet it appears to be an S.
I can see why there's confusion in the marketplace.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 09:16 AM   #3
daktulos
Member
 
daktulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: St Albans
Posts: 229
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

E24 is the country code (Australia). S is faired, U is the australian "learner" model, I think it's a bit of a special case.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 09:31 AM   #4
aesmith
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 928
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

Thanks. I was hoping it was straightforward as well. One factor is that if I recall correctly the later model years were supplied with 45 tooth rear sprocket on faired as well as unfaired. So that might be one reason for a different kit for later models. However I want the 44 tooth, but then if I blindly order a kit that's listed for say a K6 and it doesn't fit for some other reason, then I guess I wouldn't have any comeback.

It may come down to counting the links.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 11:11 AM   #5
Dave20046
Member
Mega Poster
 
Dave20046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,920
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Hi,
I wonder if someone could confirm that the chain and sprockets are interchangeable for all faired pointies? Looking at listings for sale people seems to quote all sorts of overlapping date ranges, one kit supposedly fits from 1999 to 2007, another 1999-2002, another 1999-2009.

Are there in fact any differences other than the faired/unfaired difference of 44 vs 45 teeth at the back?

Thanks,
If the sprockets are the same size then I'm fairly certain the chain is. Are you buying both chain and sprockets, if so it's sort of irrelevant.

My K3 with a 45 tooth rear is 108 links

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tsubaki-A...MAAOSwWhZdFh-M

The above will fit standard faired gearing and seemingly every month Ebay do a 10% discount on various resellers and SBshop and Demon Tweaks are usually included.
I've had the above chain on my bike for 15k miles with renthal sprocks and it's still good
__________________
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 11:39 AM   #6
Bibio
Member
Mega Poster
 
Bibio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dreich Fife (its grey and miserable)
Posts: 11,065
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

your not going to feel that much difference between a 44 and a 45 tooth rear. i would say that having used a lot of different ratios including 16t front that the best blend is 14t front and 46t rear with a 110 chain. it gives the bike a bit more pep on Scottish roads. there is very very little fuel loss/gain changing between sprockets.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 12:35 PM   #7
Dave20046
Member
Mega Poster
 
Dave20046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,920
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
your not going to feel that much difference between a 44 and a 45 tooth rear. i would say that having used a lot of different ratios including 16t front that the best blend is 14t front and 46t rear with a 110 chain. it gives the bike a bit more pep on Scottish roads. there is very very little fuel loss/gain changing between sprockets.
I didn't spot the locale, good shout Bibio. I've got to admit I've been thinking of swapping my gearing recently.
How do you find the above hits your top end?
__________________
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 12:59 PM   #8
aesmith
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 928
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

Cheers. My old SV had 15/45 when I got it but I changed back to standard 15/44 when I replace the chain and sprockets. So I've used both and although I wouldn't make the change for its own sake I might as well do so if I'm replacing sprockets anyway.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 08:37 PM   #9
Bibio
Member
Mega Poster
 
Bibio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dreich Fife (its grey and miserable)
Posts: 11,065
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I didn't spot the locale, good shout Bibio. I've got to admit I've been thinking of swapping my gearing recently.
How do you find the above hits your top end?
top end gets there a looot faster and actually tops out, unlike using the 16t front which you can never top out. on a private runway it will top out at about 3/4 miles from 60 in 4th. top end is about 130 ish, thats with the throttle pinned to the stop.

overtaking is much much faster and overall the bike is a lot better to ride, you would think that you would be stirring the gears a lot more when in fact its less as your only going down one not two for corners at sensible speeds.

dont get me wrong i liked the 16t front as it was more lazy to ride and felt more grown up but i hated having to change down a gear right on corner entry or the bike would push you into the corner, no such complaints with the 47t rear sprocket.

the drawback.. ermm the back end likes to spin up in the wet when giving it handfulls.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 10:26 PM   #10
Dave20046
Member
Mega Poster
 
Dave20046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,920
Default Re: Chain and Sprocket Compatibility - Pointy 650S L2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
top end gets there a looot faster and actually tops out, unlike using the 16t front which you can never top out. on a private runway it will top out at about 3/4 miles from 60 in 4th. top end is about 130 ish, thats with the throttle pinned to the stop.

overtaking is much much faster and overall the bike is a lot better to ride, you would think that you would be stirring the gears a lot more when in fact its less as your only going down one not two for corners at sensible speeds.

dont get me wrong i liked the 16t front as it was more lazy to ride and felt more grown up but i hated having to change down a gear right on corner entry or the bike would push you into the corner, no such complaints with the 47t rear sprocket.

the drawback.. ermm the back end likes to spin up in the wet when giving it handfulls.
That's plenty of top end , and if it actually get's there in minutes rather than 3-5 business days all the better.
I'm finding 3rd is too sloppy on certain tight bends and I'm revving the tatties off it in 2nd so had loosely played with the idea of changing up.
__________________
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standard front sprocket, bigger rear sprocket, how many more links in chain required? Holdup Bikes - Talk & Issues 6 27-02-12 12:40 PM
Pointy SV chain & sprocket fit curvy? nicky-jano SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking 8 08-04-09 09:53 PM
Front Sprocket compatibility swiest152 SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking 3 16-03-08 06:45 PM
Riding Position of a Curvy 650s compared with a Pointy 650S Power Crazy SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking 20 25-04-07 07:18 AM
04 650S chain and sprocket sizes Captain Nemo SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking 1 28-02-06 09:58 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.