SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-18, 10:32 AM   #1
egcSV650s

Default What to check after bike has been sitting for a while

My bike has been sitting for about 6 months in my garage and going to try taking it out tomorrow for a run but wanted to know what things i should check before i start the bike up? I was going to check oil level, fuel, tyres and brakes but is there anything else? I started it about 2 months ago after i done the valve clearances but apart from that hasnt moved for 6 months
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-18, 10:52 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: What to check after bike has been sitting for a while

Yes, oil, fuel, coolant, tyre pressures, make sure the brakes are free and not sticking, lube the chain, check the controls all work freely (clutch, throttle). Stick the battery on charge too if you can, to make sure it's got as much juice as possible.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-18, 11:37 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Also check all the lights and indicators etc and horn are working especially Brake lights.
Also I would check the Battery terminals just in case there is any furring/corrosion and clean them bare.

All electrics and electrical connectors suffer from none use which is why all mine are serviced with ACF50 especially the Large HT connector from the Stator to the R/R.PITA as it means removing my rear seat fairing but a worthwhile job to check and do sometime soon and often overlooked.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

In a confined space away from the elements ACF50 can halt corrosion for up to 2 years.YMMV.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 15-03-18 at 11:49 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-18, 01:15 PM   #4
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Yes, oil, fuel, coolant, tyre pressures, make sure the brakes are free and not sticking, lube the chain, check the controls all work freely (clutch, throttle). Stick the battery on charge too if you can, to make sure it's got as much juice as possible.
Great thanks, will check them tomorrow and put the battery on charge tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Also check all the lights and indicators etc and horn are working especially Brake lights.
Also I would check the Battery terminals just in case there is any furring/corrosion and clean them bare.

All electrics and electrical connectors suffer from none use which is why all mine are serviced with ACF50 especially the Large HT connector from the Stator to the R/R.PITA as it means removing my rear seat fairing but a worthwhile job to check and do sometime soon and often overlooked.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

In a confined space away from the elements ACF50 can halt corrosion for up to 2 years.YMMV.
Will make sure I check all the lights and indicators and electrical bits. Yeah ive heard of the acf50 but never brought it so will order some now, always good to have. Thanks
Old 30-03-18, 04:15 PM   #5
Qkley

I also agree with R1ffR4ff that ACF50 is great. I suspect that it might be a posh WD40/ATF mix.

Inspect the forks for corrosion and pitting as well as fork seals.
Have a look at the rotating rings on the front brake discs as they have a tendency to rust solid and stop the disc from floating.
Check the bolts around the bike if they have not seized as some are notorious for rusting and seizing.

If forks have rust forming on them I use ACF50 as it inhibits rust.
If the rotating rings are rusted, you can get a large bolt and a nut, tighten it until it starts twisting the ring and spray with brake cleaner while force-twisting it.
If the fasteners are seized do not try to force them. Get some ATF and mix it with acetone 1:1. Then use that mixture on the seized bolt and leave overnight.
It's always a good idea to use threadlocker and copper grease to ensure that you are able to undo a fastener on a later date.

For a future reference, if you are putting bike away for storage there are a few things you can do to minimize the PITA:
* Clean the bike, use plenty of ACF50 afterwards on both electric terminals and bits that have a tendency to rust
* Fill the tank to the brim with petrol
* Disconnect the battery and leave it on a trickle charger
* Use an exhaust plug

Last edited by Qkley; 30-03-18 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Missing words
Old 31-03-18, 12:26 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

We used ACF50 for years on Aircraft.Then some Brit bikers found out about it's fantastic anti-corrosion properties.It's actually an anti corrosion formula made by the,"Lear" Aircraft company.It works on electrical connectors,metal and even helps prevent coolant hoses from decaying.

Lots of bikers now use it when,"Winterizing" their bikes and then when they come to get them out for the,"Season" and prep them they find they are like,"Showroom" condition if that's how they put them away.My SV has been treated this way
Old 02-04-18, 07:49 AM   #7
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qkley View Post
I also agree with R1ffR4ff that ACF50 is great. I suspect that it might be a posh WD40/ATF mix.

Inspect the forks for corrosion and pitting as well as fork seals.
Have a look at the rotating rings on the front brake discs as they have a tendency to rust solid and stop the disc from floating.
Check the bolts around the bike if they have not seized as some are notorious for rusting and seizing.

If forks have rust forming on them I use ACF50 as it inhibits rust.
If the rotating rings are rusted, you can get a large bolt and a nut, tighten it until it starts twisting the ring and spray with brake cleaner while force-twisting it.
If the fasteners are seized do not try to force them. Get some ATF and mix it with acetone 1:1. Then use that mixture on the seized bolt and leave overnight.
It's always a good idea to use threadlocker and copper grease to ensure that you are able to undo a fastener on a later date.

For a future reference, if you are putting bike away for storage there are a few things you can do to minimize the PITA:
* Clean the bike, use plenty of ACF50 afterwards on both electric terminals and bits that have a tendency to rust
* Fill the tank to the brim with petrol
* Disconnect the battery and leave it on a trickle charger
* Use an exhaust plug
I did notice the rotating rings looked quite rusty and solid so will do what you said and try free them up a bit but i might need new discs, everything else seemed all good. Great will write that down about what to do before storage again, thanks