SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-09-17, 11:06 AM   #1
Richon2Wheels

Default Potential guide price for 2001 SV650

Hi all,

Please move this thread to the correct place if needed.

I have a 2001 SV650 naked. Decent condition but headstock needs repairs, brakes need stripping & a few repairs need doing in the very near future.

Having spent money on valves/service the repairs are starting to add up & I'm at a point where I'm considering getting rid.

What would you guys list this for if you were going to sell? I was leaning towards somwhere like £1100-1200 as it runs etc but with the potential repairs it's not going to be high.

Many thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJzFMYZXcAEv7fA.jpg (125.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DKUHKxwWsAAAOFz.jpg (127.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 26-09-17, 02:14 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Potential guide price for 2001 SV650

Dodgy brakes and suspension bearings makes it a non roadworthy old nail.Thats the way I would look at it as a buyer and I would value it accordingly.I reckon about £300-£500.
Old 26-09-17, 03:59 PM   #3
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richon2Wheels View Post
Hi all,

Please move this thread to the correct place if needed.

I have a 2001 SV650 naked. Decent condition but headstock needs repairs, brakes need stripping & a few repairs need doing in the very near future.

Having spent money on valves/service the repairs are starting to add up & I'm at a point where I'm considering getting rid.

What would you guys list this for if you were going to sell? I was leaning towards somwhere like £1100-1200 as it runs etc but with the potential repairs it's not going to be high.

Many thanks in advance!
You're not a million miles from me. Bring the bike round one weekend and we'll do the headstock bearings and rebuild the brakes. I won't charge you a penny.
Old 28-09-17, 09:27 AM   #4
Richon2Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
You're not a million miles from me. Bring the bike round one weekend and we'll do the headstock bearings and rebuild the brakes. I won't charge you a penny.
Unfortunately they found issues in the axles/swingarm too & advised my shock absorber looked a bit off (that's not a major problem)

Amazing how a supposed main Suzuki dealer classed this bike as roadworthy after an expensive service/valve check yet an emergency inspection by a Honda backed dealer has identified major problems in just 2 hours?!

Sadly the bike was advised to be taken off the road until further notice & I don't have any other transport.

Last edited by Richon2Wheels; 28-09-17 at 09:29 AM.
Old 28-09-17, 09:42 AM   #5
Talking Heads

Can you explain the circumstances of how it came to be getting looked at by a "Honda backed dealer"?

If you were asking them for a trade-in valuation or even gave the slightest hint you were considering changing bikes its reasonably safe to ignore everything they said.

Worst case it needs the rear suspension disassembled, cleaned up and greased with new swingarm and wheel bearings, its really not too major an issue for anyone handy with the spanners.

And I doubt "looking a bit off" is an MoT failure....
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-17, 10:37 AM   #6
Richon2Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Can you explain the circumstances of how it came to be getting looked at by a "Honda backed dealer"?

If you were asking them for a trade-in valuation or even gave the slightest hint you were considering changing bikes its reasonably safe to ignore everything they said.

Worst case it needs the rear suspension disassembled, cleaned up and greased with new swingarm and wheel bearings, its really not too major an issue for anyone handy with the spanners.

And I doubt "looking a bit off" is an MoT failure....
No the shock was not something i was worried about. I dropped it in the Honda dealer as
a) down the road from my office
b) thought I had a puncture on the way to work so dropped it in to see if they could find anything in the tyres & replace (extremely squirrelly/vibrating, sliding out in corners). Cue all those issues.
Old 28-09-17, 11:20 AM   #7
Mega Poster

Not all dealers are bad b*stards, but most are. Have they still got the bike?
Old 03-10-17, 11:46 AM   #8
Richon2Wheels

The bike has now left my possession. Didn't get as much as I'd originally listed but more than was expected in reality.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-10-17, 01:02 AM   #9
Talking Heads

What you getting next...?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote