SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-05-08, 08:31 PM   #1
AliMcMath

Default Breastwayround Charity Bike Weekend

I've just done the Breastwayround Charity Bike Weekend in the north west of Scotland. It was an all female event to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
I met a couple of girls, Shona and Jilly, who are members of this forum too. I think there were some members of this forum joining the ride out today.
Am I right? Let me know if you were connected with this event?
Would be good to hear how you got on.
Cheers
Ali
Old 26-05-08, 08:45 PM   #2
Draper

Default Re: Breastwayround Charity Bike Weekend

wouldnt having men taking part make you raise more money for macmillan just through pure numbers?
Old 26-05-08, 09:00 PM   #3
AliMcMath

Numbers were limited to 50. It was also organised to raise awareness and promote biking for women.
Old 27-05-08, 03:11 AM   #4
Ablazze

Sexist...

Jas...

p.s some men have boobies too ....( names witheld to protect the chubby ).
Old 27-05-08, 08:13 AM   #5
Alpinestarhero

I thinkn there should be more awareness of cancers commonly afflicting men i.e. testicular and prostate.
Old 27-05-08, 08:35 AM   #6
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I thinkn there should be more awareness of cancers commonly afflicting men i.e. testicular and prostate.

well, set up the charity bike ride & we'll all come!
Old 27-05-08, 08:39 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Can I say a big thank you to all involved, whilst breast cancer is predominately a woman's disease. It does effect family and friends of those going through it.

MacMillan do a great job supporting all those with cancers (Not just breast), However, there is never enough. I hope you all enjoyed your ride round Scotland and the incidental cash raising was also successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero
thinkn there should be more awareness of cancers commonly afflicting men i.e. testicular and prostate.
You are quite correct, The biggest problem here is men don't go to the doctor, I know I don't. So when we go we should be taken seriously. One GP said to me you are obviously concerned as you haven't been here for over 15 years. However, testicular and prostrate problems are not even things we talk about between ourselves, whereas a lady may say to here friend that she is worried because she has found a lump etc. So we are ignorant.
When a former work colleague contacted me recently to inform me he was now one down, I asked his permission to let everyone he knew know. Maybe if they know that Steve got it, it might just encourage them to have a feel and do something if concerned.
Old 27-05-08, 09:13 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Exactly Tim. Ok, maybe dont post it here on the forum, but if there is someone on MSN or that you can PM or whatever, someone you can talk to IF you think you have found something, then bloody well say so. And then get to the doctor. I'd rather suffer the doc having a poke of my bits than leave it and have to have it all removed, and still left with a chance that any cancer may have spread

Dirk; i cant organise a rideout for carp. Maybe you should, you seem to have extensive organisational skills dont take us to kasakshtan though

Matt
Old 27-05-08, 02:02 PM   #9
Jools'SV Now

men only cancer charities are like celebrating being english - we just don't do it - but there's no reason why not.

I found an 'oddity' whilst have a quick adjust - down the quacks within 2 days.
Never even been to the surgery before, let alone have a normal doctor to see.
Knock, enter - woman doc I'm sure she wasn't bothered, so neither was I.

Just what she needed just before lunch on a monday morning

BTW, was referred for an ultrasound to be on the safe side and it turned out to be nowt

If in doubt, got 'em checked out
Old 30-05-08, 10:53 AM   #10
Tiger 55

Hi Ali. The Breast Way Round brigade, including Jillyburd (who I am very proud to say is Mrs Tiger) and Shonadoll are hiding in the Ecosse section - linky - complaining about having helmet hair in every picture...