SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 09-02-12, 02:02 AM   #1
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Foreign jollies

There was some talk on Tuesday evening of both trips abroad, and weekends camping, at which I mentioned a couple of things I already have in the calendar over the summer.

First up, as I've mentioned in years gone by, is the classic bike races at Chimay in Belgium. Basic idea is a bunch of blokes old enough to know better (or not) belt ancient bikes (ranging from scrap metal with girder forks to the odd KR1-S) round a closed public road circuit like their lives do or don't depend on it, depending on your outlook. It runs from Friday (practice and beer) through Saturday (races and beer) to Sunday (races and more beer) and entry costs about 25 quid including camping. Beer is usually the likes of Maes and the three local brews, as you'd expect, and they lay on a decent band each night. We usually do a tunnel crossing on the Thursday or Friday night, then back on Sunday evening or Monday afternoon, depending on days booked off. A good time is had by all and we go back every year.

After that comes the Belgian Classic TT at Gedinne, also in Belgium. Much like Chimay, but on a smaller scale. It's roughly the same deal, but runs only on Saturday and Sunday, with practice in the morning and races in the afternoon. Entry and camping for the weekend is a tenner. We did Gedinne for the first time last year and if anything it's better than Chimay. Same kind of thing but waaaay more friendly.

Once you've factored in the tunnel crossing (60 quid return), fuel (another 80 quid or so) and entry (25 quid tops) you're looking at a weekend away, with a 600 mile round trip on the continent, for not a huge amount of money. In both cases you get to ride the circuit, what with them being on public roads, drink loads, talk utter crap and say you were there. Both highly recommended.

I'll bump this again nearer the time, but if anyone's thinking of doing a road trip, camping or a cheap weekend at a foreign race this year, they'd be daft to miss either of these.

Chimay is the 20th to 22nd of July, Gedinne is the 24th to 26th of August. Hope to see you lot there!
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 10:57 AM   #2
philbut

Default Re: Foreign jollies

Nice one mate. i have stuck both in my diary - not doing a big long euro trip on the bike this year (taking the camper to france instead), so a few short ones would be welcome. I know another guy in oxford who just passed his test but wants to try some continental riding too.
Old 11-02-12, 10:27 PM   #3
sam anon

Yep, do bump them nearer the time! I was planning on returning from a Devon wedding to the South East via Northern France but a £100 Plymouth to Roscoff ferry crossing seems a little steep!

Definitely up for some summer camping too, now I've upgraded from my sub £10 Tesco Value sleeping bag!
Old 14-02-12, 11:13 AM   #4
philbut

sleeping bag... Pah, try a camper mate,much better idea can even fit the bike in the back of my new one too! So yeah, well up for camping this summer.
Old 14-02-12, 11:22 AM   #5
ogden
Mega Poster

Stinking hippy.
Old 14-02-12, 11:26 AM   #6
philbut

stinking COMFORTABLE hippy thank you - nothing like waking up in a BED and putting the tea and bacon on. You can keep yer tents. this one is very respectable looking anyway.

Old 14-02-12, 11:42 AM   #7
ogden
Mega Poster

Does that one manage more than 30 uphill?
Old 14-02-12, 12:05 PM   #8
philbut

Now let's not get too ambitious ay. The other one is actually faster due to the transit engine... but also hideous to drive... due to the transit engine...

This one develops a whopping 58Hp from a 1.8 petrol and weighs in at 2.3 tonnes! that equates to a very "steady" rate up hills.
Old 14-02-12, 02:32 PM   #9
stuNEMCRC

iWill be doing the races at Chimay this year,going over to do some marshaling for them,did it a couple of years ago and had a blast
quite a few brits get over there and must a gree the track is something to bee seen,very fast down hill from the farm to the last corner well worth checking over with a couple of beers.
Old 14-02-12, 02:46 PM   #10
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuNEMCRC View Post
iWill be doing the races at Chimay this year,going over to do some marshaling for them,did it a couple of years ago and had a blast
quite a few brits get over there and must a gree the track is something to bee seen,very fast down hill from the farm to the last corner well worth checking over with a couple of beers.
The bar just up the hill from the last corner is a cracking place to watch the bikes go by with an Orval in each hand. I took some (not-very-good) video footage a couple of years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RFAKRPAUo

But the course, at least the neutered version they use now, isn't very special at all - it's just a tarted up rectangle compared to Gedinne, which is like a proper mini-TT course. If you've not been to the latter I thoroughly recommend it.