SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-06-08, 09:27 PM   #1

Default can anyone identify this bit of metal

not bike related, but I started on my head gasket tonight, when i stripped the cambelt covers off i discovered this.. lump of metal.. (no not the keys)

nothing on the cambelt side of the engine has anythign like this as its a shiny piece of machined metal..

My fear is when the engine got hot and the crank case seal expanded and spat this big lump out... with the contents of the sump oil....

either way I think its not just the head gasket and i think its foobared.. when it did start there was an odd NASTY clunk fromt the engine...

Scrap metal time i think...

Old 17-06-08, 11:57 AM   #2
GSXR Carlos

Default Re: can anyone identify this bit of metal

pic no worky
Old 17-06-08, 12:04 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

That wouldn't have come out of the crank seal, maybe part of the webs on some casting? Is it alloy or steel? Where's it fractured?
Old 17-06-08, 09:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
That wouldn't have come out of the crank seal, maybe part of the webs on some casting? Is it alloy or steel? Where's it fractured?
i discovered tonight that it is infact part of the injector pump. the locking pin sheared last time I did the cambelt and it must have destroyed part of the injector pump pulley ,,, its survived this long without si it should be fine... ill blow the dust out and carry on.. on the plus side I found water in the exhaust manifold indicating it is the head gasket nothing more sinister...

here hoping iv already spent 6 hours dismantling it...