SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-08, 09:08 PM   #1
scottjames

Default When to change gear?

might be a silly question but when is the best time to change, right at the top of the revs or at max tourqe say 7.5 thou revs ish ? ? Being my first four stoke in still learning!!

also i am 33bhp if this changes any thing.

Last edited by scottjames; 12-03-08 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 09:11 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Why to change gear.?

IMHO no point reving the nuts of the SV the power tails off after about 10K anyway.

Better to shift at about 9K but depends on the road conditions, the traffic and what you feel like. Just change when it feels right to change.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 09:13 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

gawd i have to keep it quiet and change at 5-6000

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 09:16 PM   #4
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
gawd i have to keep it quiet and change at 5-6000
Yes, round town and through villages Pete short shifts at around 4k because of the can.

On the open road usually 6-7k

Long, sweeping curves..................rev limiter

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 09:20 PM   #5
scottjames

yea, see i find that if its windy and i change around 7 i can get bout 90. if its calm out i keep it bit longer and i can get 110. i dont go in the red so im guessing im fine any thing under just increseing wear by nearing the red line?

dame 33bhp.
Old 12-03-08, 09:25 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

33bhp's a bit naff near the redline, I just shift when the acceleration feels like it tails off, 9k ish?
Old 12-03-08, 09:27 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

For 33 I would reckon 7.5 would be your best.
Whatever you're happy with
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 09:37 PM   #8
scottjames

cheers guys, ill just mess bout with it i no theres not alot up the top end. not like it has to be spot on. i absolutly love the SV one of the best things ive ever brought i think.
Old 12-03-08, 10:36 PM   #9
Twinny

Low down, prob not much over 6-7 on 33bhp, i've got a 33 bhp er500 outside and u can change at 7-8k if u want... its almost exactly the same as shifting at 6 if u know wat i mean... ur better off just reving it less and going the same speed, but since the sv650 has oddles of torque for wat it is so ur lucky

Full power, 5-7k gearshifts gets the bike moving respectivly quick and will see most ppl off .most of the time, obvoius racing other bikes 9...9.5k depending on which gear, got a little bit of extra boot from like 7-9 where in some tigth corners it pulls the front wheel of the ground on its own power, very cool for a detuned 650 twin... which are normaly running out of puff by then, i like the sv's engine its free reving ,torquey lil motor , reminds exactly of a speed triple i road just befroe getting my sv(1050 triple) its same kind character as that just a half the power verson..starts to pull with a bit of smoothness from 3k,good boot to 7k then an extra lump of power above that to about 9-5k wheres its bout finished the party, obvoiusly the triple feels almost untamable around town lol , so yeah exactly half of that power , anyhows wat was the original question ? ,only probelm with my sv after 120 it aint got much left , don't get me wrong it pulls to 130mph on any signifcant road but its just gets stuck there... 130,130,130,130,132 ... u get the idea :P

Last edited by Twinny; 12-03-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 10:45 PM   #10
sinbad

Just change at the point where the power doesn't seem to continue to build anymore, and where the next gear would not be bogging down too low in the rev range.

I imagine a restricted bike might benefit from a larger rear sprocket more than a full power one?