SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-06-15, 02:38 PM   #1
Alexander94

Default Brake caliper rebuild - curvy

Hi guys and girls.

I've noticed that my front brake on my curvy SV650 hasn't been very good recently and upon inspection the dust seals are crumpled and one is half out so I'm going to strip them both down, clean them up and replace all the seals.

Looking at seal kits it'll be about £12 for the seals for both calipers or £40 for a set with the seals, rubber slide rod boot, slide rod gaitor and a new mild steel nipple.

In your opinions is it worth paying considerably more for the rubber boots and gaitors? Mine are cracked but they don't seem too bad.

I'll be cleaning and reusing the pistons as there's no way I can afford to replace them at about £20 per piston!
Old 17-06-15, 03:01 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Brake caliper rebuild - curvy

Yes.The sliding element of these calipers is often a source of problems in that they stop sliding so if you are doing the overhaul Id do it all.
Old 17-06-15, 03:16 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

you will more than likely find that the pistons are fubar as well.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15, 04:19 PM   #4
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Yes.The sliding element of these calipers is often a source of problems in that they stop sliding so if you are doing the overhaul Id do it all.

This.
Old 17-06-15, 04:30 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

If the boots are cracked you'll need new ones. However, sometimes what makes them look cracked is dirt on the surface of the rubber boot being dry, I've often found after a soak in some hot water they clean up ok. No promises, but it might save you a few quid.

The dust seals will almost certainly be completely knackerd, they have the hardest life, the fluid seals will probably be OK, again you won't be certain until you have one in front of you.

If you want to guarantee doing the job once, buy everything in advance, if you're broke then you can assess everything and reuse, but that might lead to the bike being off the road while you order the parts in.

Jambo
Old 17-06-15, 05:35 PM   #6
Alexander94

Thanks very much for your advice guys.
I'm pretty sure that the boots are cracked or at least the long ones are. So it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the £40~ at least I know it'll be done then.

The bike is my only way of getting to work so i'll be better off doing it all in 1 day.

I had a look at the pistons and the exposed part is dirty but I took the pads off and pumped the brake a bit and the lower part looks fine. I've heard of people cleaning them up with all sorts of methods so I'll probably do that, I know it's not ideal but I can't afford £80 on new pistons :S
Old 17-06-15, 05:36 PM   #7
Alexander94

Obviously I'll be getting some silicone grease (or red rubber grease, I can't remember) for the rebuild

Last edited by Alexander94; 17-06-15 at 05:38 PM.
Old 17-06-15, 06:21 PM   #8
Nutsinatin

For cleaning the pistons I've had good results with a Dremel and some fine (1000/2000 grit) wet and dry, and you're after red rubber grease
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15, 06:53 PM   #9
Flybuster

Make sure you clean every bit of crud from the seal groves or you'll be back to square one. Not a job to be rushed.
Put a bit of grease inside the gaiters before putting them back on. ( not red rubber grease though ).
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15, 07:53 PM   #10
nutzboutbikes

Red rubber grease for the piston seals.
Silicone grease for the sliders.