SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-09, 06:54 PM   #1
muffles

Default Removing throttle bodies

...problems doing this....from a 2002 CBR600F but maybe this is a generic problem!

Basically they are attached to the cylinder head and I can't get 'em off - they are secured by metal bands with screws (a bit like smaller exhaust clamps - same sort of bands used to secure the coolant pipes to the radiator on most bikes). There seem to be short plastic (?) pipes (4cm ish long) between the cylinder head & the throttle bodies. There are bands on each end of each pipe - so 8 bands in all. I've released 3 of the ones nearest the cylinder head and one of the ones near the throttle bodies, on the remaining pipe (I couldn't undo the one nearest the cylinder head on that one so I was going to take the throttle bodies off to give easier access to it).

So having undone the bands, I still can't get the throttle bodies off! I have actually broken off part of the throttle bodies trying to get them off, so I need some new ones but I still need to get the old ones off.

So - anyone with experience of removing throttle bodies (especially on CBRs) - any advice? Am I doing something wrong - have I forgotten to remove a bolt or something (nothing in the manual - double checked!)?
Old 19-04-09, 12:36 AM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Removing throttle bodies

they are tight fit, but usualy if you twist them off instead of trying to pull them off

8 metal bands, are you sure, the rubber bits stay attached to the engine, ususaly you only undo the 4 metal bands closest to the TBs
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-09, 12:41 AM   #3
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
they are tight fit, but usualy if you twist them off instead of trying to pull them off

8 metal bands, are you sure, the rubber bits stay attached to the engine, ususaly you only undo the 4 metal bands closest to the TBs
Yeah definitely 8, because there are 4 bands to attach the rubber bits to the TBs and 4 bands to attach the rubber bits to the engine.

Actually, I got them off now - had to grab the fuel rail and wiggle them back and forth quite violently lol - but, they ARE off.

I'm about to start a thread about speedo sensors if you can help any more though (the reason for me trying to take the TBs off in the first place - it's buried deep in the bike).
Old 19-04-09, 12:43 AM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

but you prolly found out that now you only had to take 4 bands off in the end
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-09, 12:50 AM   #5
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
but you prolly found out that now you only had to take 4 bands off in the end
Yeah - I only ever loosened 4 bands, sorry for the confusion lol. I was just baffled why the thing wouldn't come off - but, I guess it was just (very) stiff!