SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-03-22, 09:26 AM   #11
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: P&O Ferries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
.... Doesn't need to be in national ownership to protect the national interest. Appropriate use of licences and regulation backed up by legislation could be used to provide adequate governance and protection when services are provided by other party privatised owner/operators. How complex this is depends on whether there's a real market or if it's just pseudo-competition.
Nationalisation also brings the issue of morals, ethics, standards, interests and probity of the government of the day into scrutiny .................. which is a whole other can of worms.
Windrush anyone?
Old 19-03-22, 09:42 PM   #12
svenrico

I read that P and O was 40% Russian owned.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-22, 09:47 PM   #13
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
If you are referring to the sit-in and 'redundancies with immediate effect' I completely agree. You cannot make staff redundant with immediate effect, there has to be consultation and compensation at the very least. Furthermore people are not made redundant, the job is and the post holder is moved or let go. You cannot have a whole new set of workers come in and do the same job for less money if the post is redundant.
So they are sacking people for no reason and without notice, which last time I looked is not legal in the UK (despite Brexit). I know sea-farers terms are likely to be a special case, but do not know the rules in this regard.
It does sound and look like P&O acting outside the law?
I agree. If the company was going into liquidation the workers might be dismissed without notice (but could still be entitled to redundancy payment), but legally in this country anyway a worker can't be made redundant without any notice and their post filled immediately by another person.
Old 20-03-22, 11:44 AM   #14
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
in this country anyway a worker can't be made redundant without any notice and their post filled immediately by another person.
which is whats wrong with the UK workforce. once you hire a idiot your stuck with them. someone i know caught one of their workers using a table saw without a guard. he told them to stop using it and fitted the guard back on, he came back later on and found the guard off again and told the worker to fit it back on. a few days later the worker cut some fingers off. my mate then got taken to court and the worker won. thousands of pounds down the drain and his insurance premium raised.

another person i know took on an eager apprentice and put him through all his certs the once they had gained all their qualifications they turned into a lazy git so he fired them and guess what they took him to court and won.... as a result he no longer takes on apprentices.

if you had a broken or crap tool you would get rid of it... i see no difference in workforce.

no wonder there are so many 0hr contracts.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-22, 12:42 PM   #15
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
which is whats wrong with the UK workforce. once you hire a idiot your stuck with them. someone i know caught one of their workers using a table saw without a guard. he told them to stop using it and fitted the guard back on, he came back later on and found the guard off again and told the worker to fit it back on. a few days later the worker cut some fingers off. my mate then got taken to court and the worker won. thousands of pounds down the drain and his insurance premium raised.

another person i know took on an eager apprentice and put him through all his certs the once they had gained all their qualifications they turned into a lazy git so he fired them and guess what they took him to court and won.... as a result he no longer takes on apprentices.

if you had a broken or crap tool you would get rid of it... i see no difference in workforce.

no wonder there are so many 0hr contracts.

Some confusion here between redundancy and dismissal for misconduct or poor performance. If an employee is "a lazy git" then a process should be followed to warn them and discipline them officially. Failure to improve results in dismissal. Same can be done with failures to comply with health and safety rules or any other company rules. Problems arise with lazy employers who dont bother to follow the legal proceedure, lose at the tribunal then moan about it.

Redundancy is where you cant just dismiss someone for no reason and pretend its all about the job ending. Strict rules apply including consultation and some very limited compensation.
Old 20-03-22, 06:07 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Some confusion here between redundancy and dismissal for misconduct or poor performance. If an employee is "a lazy git" then a process should be followed to warn them and discipline them officially. Failure to improve results in dismissal. Same can be done with failures to comply with health and safety rules or any other company rules. Problems arise with lazy employers who dont bother to follow the legal proceedure, lose at the tribunal then moan about it.

Redundancy is where you cant just dismiss someone for no reason and pretend its all about the job ending. Strict rules apply including consultation and some very limited compensation.
yes well its about time it stopped. hire/fire days back please. if you are a lazy stupid current then you are going to be poor.... or are we supposed to keep spoon feeding people that dont deserve it.

btw my mate did go through all the procedures and warnings but still lost.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-22, 12:26 AM   #17
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Well said.
Old 21-03-22, 12:35 AM   #18
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yes well its about time it stopped. hire/fire days back please. if you are a lazy stupid current then you are going to be poor.... or are we supposed to keep spoon feeding people that dont deserve it.

btw my mate did go through all the procedures and warnings but still lost.
Hire and fire still exists in terms of companies taking on staff when work builds up and getting rid of staff if work dries up.
'Turning into a lazy git' might be a matter of opinion' ! There are all sorts of reasons employers and employees relations might deteriorate. Employees can be made to feel unwelcome ,face no longer fits.