SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-06, 06:24 PM   #1
jimmy4237

Default United Nations Exhaust Noise Cuts

Just got a copy of August 2006 BIKE magazine. Seems the UN (United Nations) want to cut all new bikes exhaust noise emissions down to 81 decibels. The same as a vacuum cleaner!!!! My SV Thou with twin unbaffled scorpions is about 98 decibels. With standard pipes it's 90 decibels. An airplane flying above at 300metres is 90db. How many more SMIDSY's will we hear of if the EU adopts this new noise level as law!!!!!! Plenty!!!!!

Either they want to cut the number of bikes on the road, kill off biking in general, or make bikers be killed by cars drivers saying "I didn't hear a bike coming.....".

The UN also wants to ban aftermarket pipes with removable baffles, by removing their eligibility for road use.
Old 31-07-06, 06:28 PM   #2
the white rabbit

The UN????? Really????
Old 31-07-06, 06:28 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: United Nations Exhaust Noise Cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy4237
Just got a copy of August 2006 BIKE magazine. Seems the UN (United Nations) want to cut all new bikes exhaust noise emissions down to 81 decibels. The same as a vacuum cleaner!!!! My SV Thou with twin unbaffled scorpions is about 98 decibels. With standard pipes it's 90 decibels. An airplane flying above at 300metres is 90db. How many more SMIDSY's will we hear of if the EU adopts this new noise level as law!!!!!! Plenty!!!!!

Either they want to cut the number of bikes on the road, kill off biking in general, or make bikers be killed by cars drivers saying "I didn't hear a bike coming.....".

The UN also wants to ban aftermarket pipes with removable baffles, by removing their eligibility for road use.

Bugger - I must have missed the bit on the news that said the Middle East Crisis is all sorted and world famine eradicated - good to see that the UN have got their priorities right.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 06:31 PM   #4
Warren

i read this in a newspaper a while ago.
Old 31-07-06, 07:54 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, and it's all cobblers A large part of the UN's remit is to be a think tank- that means they constantly release reports and studies, as well as reprinting existing reports and studies, on basically anything. It's not a declaration of intent, or a policy shift, it's what they do. Don't confuse it with the executive arm- the idea is that if a country decides, say, to ban pork pies, there'll be a UN report on the impact of banning pork pies.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 07:55 PM   #6
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Yep, and it's all cobblers A large part of the UN's remit is to be a think tank- that means they constantly release reports and studies, as well as reprinting existing reports and studies, on basically anything. It's not a declaration of intent, or a policy shift, it's what they do. Don't confuse it with the executive arm- the idea is that if a country decides, say, to ban pork pies, there'll be a UN report on the impact of banning pork pies.
You hope, they managed to push through some legistration last time they got involved in motorcycling.
Old 31-07-06, 07:56 PM   #7
the white rabbit

Quote:
Yep, and it's all cobblers
Thought so.
Old 31-07-06, 07:59 PM   #8
lynw

Last I read of this it was the EU.

Now its the UN.

Personally I think its another MCN inspired piece of crap.
Old 31-07-06, 08:11 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
You hope, they managed to push through some legistration last time they got involved in motorcycling.
Which was?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 08:20 PM   #10
Law

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Which was?
Daytime running lights I think, or was that done by the manufacturers to save on switches?