SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 12-04-07, 07:19 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Another recommendation for Saltire Suzuki

So, my bike's a bit poorly, and needed a new starter relay/main fuse box. Not really the sort of thing you keep in stock... But I phoned up anyway on the offchance. I've got a pretty good relationship with Saltire, I sent a couple of people to Alvins to buy bikes and Calum's got a long memory But this time he didn't actually know it was me.

So, "Sorry, not in stock. Is the bike off the road?" aye. "Well, give us half an hour and we'll call around some other dealers, maybe I can find you one".
Calls back half an hour later, he's found one at one of the west coast dealers, and they've got a recovered bike to take through in the van so he's got that part off them, and going to get it picked up. Might have it by tomorrow lunchtime. If they have time they're going to put it through my front door...

Bearing in mind here he didn't know me from adam, how good is that?

I've never actually used them for anything serious, mind, so it could be their workshop's dreadful and their prices too high
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 07:48 PM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: Another recommendation for Saltire Suzuki

I don't mind high prices and a poor workshop so long as the customer service is good
Old 12-04-07, 08:42 PM   #3
Duck-man

I went down there to Saltire last week to get a check for how much a service would cost. After 20 mins they told me I needs a service plus new chain, new sprocket and a few other bits and pieces so in total just under £500!! oops!

Ah well needs doing.
Old 12-04-07, 10:27 PM   #4
-Ralph-

Phoned them today for tyres as I've got a screw thru the back!!

177 quid for a pair of diablo strada's plus 30 quid for ride in ride out fitting, but can't do the job for two weeks as the diarys full.

So I'm trying to get somewhere to do it sooner. Or might just buy the tyres on the web and get them fitted at the nearest garage. Can't go to Strathearn or anywhere like that unless I learn quickly how to remove and refit the wheels safely as I don't think the tyre will stay inflated for more than 10 miles or so and the AA won't want to take me to Crieff.

Any advise welcome!
Old 12-04-07, 10:34 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, what one is it you need? I take it you've got a flat... If you can get to currie I can pop that one off, and either fit a new tyre of your choice or I've got a rear 020 which has a few miles left in it, enough to tide you over... I wouldn't suggest it if you had a better option because I'm still very new to the tyre swapping thing, to be totally honest, but if it gets you out of a jam that'd be fine...
Old 13-04-07, 10:07 PM   #6
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Yeah, what one is it you need? I take it you've got a flat... If you can get to currie I can pop that one off, and either fit a new tyre of your choice or I've got a rear 020 which has a few miles left in it, enough to tide you over... I wouldn't suggest it if you had a better option because I'm still very new to the tyre swapping thing, to be totally honest, but if it gets you out of a jam that'd be fine...
Thanks Northy, that would be cool. It's getting the bike to Currie that would be my issue, not sure I'd get that far without getting stranded. I'll inflate the tyre tomorrow and see how long it stays up. I'll probably get new tyres off the web.
Old 13-04-07, 10:56 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

No probs. It wouldn't be wise to use me as a first port of call just yet, I still need a bit more practice But for emergencies, well, I'm not going to make it any worse
Old 23-04-07, 07:35 PM   #8
sv650sk3

I used Saltire for a service and MOT - good job done for reasonable cash. The use of their GS500 was handy too. A couple of other I know have used them recently and they've been good.

Not so brilliant on the sales side though - I went to Jim Allan in Falkirk.

Awaiting delivery of a new DL650Tk7 V-Strom.
Old 23-04-07, 08:32 PM   #9
Duck-man

Service was done on friday (20/4) and they did a top job!!

Bike feels totally different. They said they looked at balancing the pistons so it doesnt pop as much now ( i kinda liked that noise ah well) and the bike seems free-er. Smoother over all!

Very happy!

Oh and because they couldnt get me the bike in the alloted time they knock cash of the bill (The service was supposed to take 4hrs and i would get the bike back on friday but due to it taking a wee bit longer it wouldnt be ready till 12 the next day no biggy really but was cool to get cash knocked off the bill )
Old 23-04-07, 10:31 PM   #10
on yer bike

mine was the same when I got it back from the repair and service from slatire, it stopped poping for a few weeks, dont worry, if its like mine, it comes back soon enough, hehe :P

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote