SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-17, 06:22 PM   #1
daveymac55

Default gear indicator advice plz

hiya fellow SV riders, has anybody any advice of a good quality easy to see (and fit) digital gear indicator for an 07 pointy? This is my 2nd SV and while I have wonderful mental twisty roads up where I live I never know what damn gear I am in! These are the first bikes I've ever ridden with 6 speed box and as I only have 5 fingers per hand I'm knackered............. Thanks for your help
Old 23-05-17, 07:41 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: gear indicator advice plz

why would you want to know what gear your in.

if your in the wrong gear then you move up/down to get the correct gear, a gear indicator is not going to do it for you. only time i would like a gear indicator is when i'm in 6th to stop looking for 7th. if it feels right then it is right.

its a v-twin your always in the correct gear
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-17, 07:47 PM   #3
daveymac55

Well I guess it maybe depends how you ride your bike? I like to ride mine using engine/ gearbox braking and just occasionally I have thought "what gear am I in?" Each to his own.
Old 23-05-17, 09:21 PM   #4
tom_e

Healtech stuff always seems to get good reviews although I'd agree with bibio in general but like you say each to their own

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-17, 09:52 PM   #5
DomP

I thought I needed a gear indicator when I first started riding and got my SV, but like Bibs says it's only when you go for 7th. The gear indicator in my Caddy drives me mad as it also tells me what gear it thinks I should be in as I'm caning it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 24-05-17, 02:01 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

gadget syndrome. companies advertise and sell them so people think they need it.

i too hardly ever use my brakes out and about on Scotland's fine twisty roads and instead use observation and forward planning skills.

i never use rev counters either and my spaznav covers it anyway. i rely on 'mechanical sympathy' and the sound of the engine.

but as you say each to their own. me i would rather put the money that i would spend on the gear indicator into my fuel tank or servicing.

a gear indicator to me is just like a rev counter.. another distraction i can do without.

oohhh and yes the Healtech if you must is the one to go for as its electronic using the bikes loom where a lot of the cheep ones are magnetic and rely on placing a magnet/sensor on your gear lever. buy cheep buy twice.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 06:18 AM   #7
Blapper

It's the going for 7th thing that got me for a while, I just double check the revs now but it took a while to learn. Having said that, it is probably more of a distraction than glimpsing an indicator. If I could get one for a curvy I would have fitted it.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 07:10 AM   #8
Seeker
Mega Poster

This guy seems to like the GIpro:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=126880

The AL7 has a gear indicator fitted as standard and I find it's useful when you're not in a hurry - you glance down and realise you're not in top gear. Most of my bikes didn't have fuel gauges but once you've owned a bike with one, it's hard to imagine owning a bike without one, same for the gear indicator.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 07:49 AM   #9
macamxthe1st

Spot on, as above.

Here is an alternative.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...kAAOSw3ZRY~drz
Old 24-05-17, 07:50 AM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I find the gear indicator (standard on AL7) useful, mainly when trying to sort out neutral , and as seeker says it is useful when not in a hurry and getting max mpg etc. Same with fuel gauge, some people are happy with a fuel light but I doubt you would sell many cars if they didn't have a fuel gauge and just had a light with 'you will run out of fuel in 20 miles' on it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote