SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-08-08, 01:52 PM   #1
shelleyamy

Default GSXR 750 K7 Forks onto Curvy SV

Just got these delivered.
Have emailed TWF to ask about bearings, but anyone know if there is such a thing?
Has anyone done this conversion? The front end is the same for both K6/K7/K8 GSXR 600/750

I am now looking for a cheap frame to use as a mock up to make sure i dont have to have my bike off the road to long.
Mike
Old 04-08-08, 03:01 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: GSXR 750 K7 Forks onto Curvy SV

It's not as simple as it might have been, because those forks aren't a great match for the SRAD yoke which is usually the winning option for the curvy. Instead, you either have to use shims on the forks and machine out the RHS axle hole to suit the SRAD axle (this enables you to fit it in the SRAD forks) or alternatively, just use the more recent yokes. But that has issues with the lock stops and parking lock (all of which you can get round) and MIGHT have issues with general fitment, which I couldn't comment on because I've never had the yokes.

But on the plus side, they're good forks, and they look great in black
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 03:10 PM   #3
shelleyamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
It's not as simple as it might have been, because those forks aren't a great match for the SRAD yoke which is usually the winning option for the curvy. Instead, you either have to use shims on the forks and machine out the RHS axle hole to suit the SRAD axle (this enables you to fit it in the SRAD forks) or alternatively, just use the more recent yokes. But that has issues with the lock stops and parking lock (all of which you can get round) and MIGHT have issues with general fitment, which I couldn't comment on because I've never had the yokes.

But on the plus side, they're good forks, and they look great in black
I was expecting to have to do a little tweeking with lock stops,steering lock and yokes, thats why i thought getting a mock up frame whould save off the road time with my bike.

Top of the forks,(where the top yoke fits) is 50mm and the steering stem(the part the head bearings fit) is 30mm.

They do look good, not a mark on them,dont think the bike they came off had been used.
Mike
Old 04-08-08, 04:11 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, mine were the same, straight off a race bike which was getting aftermarket forks. Then I attacked them with a milling machine and angle grinder, shame really

Oh yeah, the springs are pretty stiff, I'm going to have to have mine resprung with softer springs (double )
Old 04-08-08, 04:41 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Looks like they are straight off of a race bike, bit strange that though for a 750 to get the full suspension treatment now a days.

You could consider getting some yokes made up to suit the SV frame and GSXR forks, bit costly but would add to the exclusiveness.
Old 05-08-08, 05:21 PM   #6
shelleyamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Looks like they are straight off of a race bike, bit strange that though for a 750 to get the full suspension treatment now a days.

You could consider getting some yokes made up to suit the SV frame and GSXR forks, bit costly but would add to the exclusiveness.
I am hoping that a slightly earlier GSXR yoke (with the centred ignition) will be a near fit.
Mike
Old 05-08-08, 06:35 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

The bottom yokes are a different size... I think it's 54mm vs 52.5mm or somesuch. Wee shims'll do it (from the private stock of baron alfred von krupp) though it feels a wee bit bodgey.

But then you need to find a spindle the right width too, and it all gets Complicated.
Old 07-08-08, 07:33 AM   #8
shelleyamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
The bottom yokes are a different size... I think it's 54mm vs 52.5mm or somesuch. Wee shims'll do it (from the private stock of baron alfred von krupp) though it feels a wee bit bodgey.

But then you need to find a spindle the right width too, and it all gets Complicated.
Yeah the forks are just under 53mm where they fit in the lower clamp.
Mike
Old 07-08-08, 12:53 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Where that gets harder is SRAD yokes are wider, so teh K7 spindle might not fit... And the SRAD one definately won't because it's 32mm (or similiar) at both ends while the K7 forks are 32mm at one end and, er, 27mm maybe at teh other. I just got mine machined out to accomodate the SRAD spindle, it wasn't expensive (£20 I think it was) and works out fine. But it's a bit of a big step obviously.
Old 10-08-08, 05:24 PM   #10
shelleyamy

Still waiting for the bearings to arrive from the states,but can anyone tell me if what is left on the stem is the dust cover,and the race of the lower bearing.
I understand the lower bearings are the same size on the Curvy SV as the GSXR,but will i be able to leave whats on the stem now,and just add the missing part of the lower bearing from the SV?
If not, whats the best way to remove the race,trying not to damage the dust cover?
Mike