SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-06-16, 06:31 AM   #11
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Also action cam

Ok so slightly more constructive.
Please bear in mind I have no other Go Pro etc. point of reference to compare too.

Well it worked, the picture quality is good, number plates are clear. It was mounted in a hurry this morning to my mirror arm. So was a little shaky...
The camera seems well made, by Bresser a German company, or at least imported by them for National Geographic. The fittings again seem ok, a little hard to fit together, the spacing's seem to have closed up slightly. However not a real issue, again no idea what GP ones are like..
The configuration I bodged to my mirror arm did move around a little, however that's my fault not the camera.
Got to work, connected it to the computer, turned it on and it automatically installed the driver. Films watchable.

For £30.00 you can't go wrong. Just trying to persuade myself I don't need another one.
Old 10-06-16, 08:53 AM   #12
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Cool!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 09:48 AM   #13
yokohama

I couldn't find a frame mount I was happy with and didn't want to attach it to a helmet so I picked up a chest harness on Amazon. It works well and, completely coincidentally, is beautifully positioned so as to show the rev counter but not the speedo.
That's on a naked though. I don't know what the view would be like from behind a screen.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 12:28 PM   #14
shiftin_gear98

Yeah not sure about the helmet mount, I know loads of people do, (those that do, sorry for the insult)
But I'm not sure I can deal with the Tinky Winky comparison. It just looks too damn gay.
Old 10-06-16, 12:53 PM   #15
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I've never tried a helmet mount, I wonder if there is a lot of drag at high speed. A friend of mine had those stupid ears when they were all the rage (an actual friend, not me!), and she said above 50mph the drag was trying to rip her head off.

If you had the chest plate and the helmet mount then you'd deffo be in Teletubby territory
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 12:55 PM   #16
L3nny
Mega Poster

Helmet mount is a lot more stable, your head is a natural shock absorber. I used to wear my Sony action cam on the top of my head and got some good footage. You do, however look a tit. But if you're on an SV the camera on your head should be the last of your worries
Old 10-06-16, 04:42 PM   #17
rictus01
Mega Poster

looks to be identical to my SJ4000, I've been using for a couple of years now, battery lasts about 4 hours and on a 32gb micro sd you'll get about 5 hours recording with few problems (mine is setup to loop/overwrite, so carries the last 5 hours riding, but I've found it can get corrupted video files after prolonged use (perhaps a couple of weeks use) so I reset every other battery change and haven't had a problem since); I've got mine helmet mounted , not only is it far more stable but the elevation is advantageous, it's a bit of a pain to see the camera view (when mounting), so I opted for the wifi version; meaning you can get a "cameras eye" view and stop/start/select all from your phone.

Oh and mine was £45 with a Huge amount of mounting options.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 06:45 PM   #18
Kenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
I've never tried a helmet mount, I wonder if there is a lot of drag at high speed.
I have a go-pro and when side mounted it does drag your head around slightly. When riding my wife's er6 I tend to use the chest mount.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 07:56 PM   #19
DomP

I was considering an sj4000, are they really comparable to a Go Pro? Do they come with a chest mount?
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 08:25 PM   #20
yokohama

Mine's an SJ400. I don't have a gopro to compare it to but for £40 it does a pretty good job and the footage is clear. Chest harness is extra but plenty on offer between £6-10 on Amazon and eBay.

Rictus, how do you get 4 hours out of your SJ battery? Mine usually dies after somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote