SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

Old 15-07-12, 08:32 PM   #1
DJ123
Mega Poster

Lightbulb Le Mans GP May 2013

I am throwing this out there as an idea for a long weekend.
Leaving on Thursday and returning on the Monday (Dates TBC).
Rough costs of when i went this year was:
Ferry (Portsmouth-Le Havre)-£120 (there is a cheaper option of Newhave-Dieppe)
Moto GP tickets- £50 (this covered entrance for fri, sat, sun plus privelage praking)
Camping (3 people, 3 bikes, 3 nights, one tent)-£30
food/drink-£20 a day (depends where you go)
fuel cost-£80 (we only did about 600 miles in total)
Rough total-£380 (that's a generous budget too)

Discuss, chat, ask, show your interest. Plenty of time to decide & save up

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-12, 08:36 PM   #2
Thunderace

Default Re: Le Mans GP May 2013

Might be up for this mate, Dover- Calais is lots cheaper but will mean a lot more riding, possibly leave a day or 2 earlier and stop en-route?
Old 15-07-12, 08:43 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

The way i balance it out is the time/mileage. What you have potentially saved on the ferry, you spend in petrol riding that route. Plus the added time and miles
There is a Portsmouth-Cherbourg route, only a 4 hour crossing and about £75 (approx, i did a rough quote online)
On the Friday you can go around all of the D Day sites and WW areas. One place i want to go back to is the American Cemetery, amazing place

BMW F800ST
Old 15-07-12, 09:31 PM   #4
Spank86

I might be up for it but wouldn't know till nearer the time.
Old 16-07-12, 08:13 AM   #5
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
There is a Portsmouth-Cherbourg route, only a 4 hour crossing and about £75 (approx, i did a rough quote online)
On the Friday you can go around all of the D Day sites and WW areas. One place i want to go back to is the American Cemetery, amazing place
Portsmouth - Cherborg in 4 hours is the fast-craft which can only take a dozen bikes and with the moto-gp on it will be full. There is a normal ferry which takes a couple of hours extra but can take about 9000 bikes and is quite a bit cheaper.

Also you have space to wonder about and decent restaurant/sleeping area (apart from the front salon, all the other reclining chair rooms are free of charge). Fast craft gets cancelled if a seagull farts as it's a tad sensitive to wind and a right old vomit inducer if it's not millpond calm.

Ferry company swaps between Cherborg and Caen all the time. Doesn't really matter as it is pretty close and both drop you right into the middle of the WWII beaches and museums.

There's also a night ferry so you can travel over night and save a hotel fee.

100% right about taking the more expensive ferry rather than riding down from Calais. Calais -> Normandy is dull, costs a fortune in Fuel and tyres etc. AND from these parts you have to ride 2 hours in the wrong direction first to get to Dover!

Plymouth -> Roskoff is another option.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-12, 08:43 AM   #6
granty92

would be so up for this
Old 16-07-12, 09:28 AM   #7
granty92

any idea what sort of price's the pit tickets are?
Old 16-07-12, 05:38 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

no idea, i don't know how far in advanced they release ticket prices. Best to keep checking the site to see the prices. I know that the further in advanced you buy them, the cheaper they are.

BMW F800ST
Old 16-07-12, 05:45 PM   #9
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Portsmouth - Cherborg in 4 hours is the fast-craft which can only take a dozen bikes and with the moto-gp on it will be full. There is a normal ferry which takes a couple of hours extra but can take about 9000 bikes and is quite a bit cheaper.

Also you have space to wonder about and decent restaurant/sleeping area (apart from the front salon, all the other reclining chair rooms are free of charge). Fast craft gets cancelled if a seagull farts as it's a tad sensitive to wind and a right old vomit inducer if it's not millpond calm.

Ferry company swaps between Cherborg and Caen all the time. Doesn't really matter as it is pretty close and both drop you right into the middle of the WWII beaches and museums.

There's also a night ferry so you can travel over night and save a hotel fee.

100% right about taking the more expensive ferry rather than riding down from Calais. Calais -> Normandy is dull, costs a fortune in Fuel and tyres etc. AND from these parts you have to ride 2 hours in the wrong direction first to get to Dover!

Plymouth -> Roskoff is another option.
when i went out this year we took the 12 hour ferry, it was all right and not as bad as i thought. We got it on Thursday night and landed Friday morning. The sound of hundreds of bikes echoing in a Ferry hull and the smell of petrol is how you should wake up every morning
Then left early on the Monday morning to catch it back.
Very well organised on the ferry, plenty of people to strap the bikes down, and they are strapped down well.

BMW F800ST
Old 17-07-12, 08:20 AM   #10
granty92

yep i have checked with a friend and he's going to come to i would prefer a night ferry so we can sleep on the boat then get there at a decent time on the friday or saturday