SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 04-12-07, 11:39 PM   #1
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default GSX-R Front end conversion

Well here's some pics of my shennanigans (?).

Over the next few days/weeks I shall be fitting K5 GSX-R 600 forks/calipers/wheel/yokes with TL1000 S clip on's and hopefully a K5/6 master cylinder and while it's in the garage I figured I sort some other stuff that's been on my list of things to do.

First off, remove the snow plough and fit the undertray/number plate holder/indicators that I've had for months, fit a new R/H lower fairing that I've also had for a while, PCIII that I've had since I passed my test, Black rear wheel to match the new front, GSX-R shock (either a K5 600 that I already have, or a K5 1000 which I would prefer but dunno if I can afford) and the new Autocom system that I bought at the NEC. I also wanted to sort out a few problems with the alarm!

It's a long old list but I'm hoping it wont take too long.

Here she is just after I started

Managed to get the whole back end off with out splitting the plastics for the first time!

Here she is strpped of all the appropriate panels.

Anybody know what these are meant to connect to? They're off my accumen alarm that I fitted myself.

While I was at it, I removed the snorkel. (Mmm, sounds nice!)

Ready to remove the forks

Look she's flying (with the aid of my lovely new abba stand and a roof rafter!)

First mistake of the day

I dropped the forks through the yokes meaning I couldn't remove the forks or the bottom yoke with out raising the forks back up again which is bloody hard on your own! (This was thanks to poor advice)

Top yoke removed and ready to romove the forks/bottom yoke. (just have to raise the forks through the yokes)

Mmm, beautifull. Tightened the headstem nut just enough to hold it until I can finish the job.

I'll post more picks as an when I do the work.

Regards

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.

Last edited by phil24_7; 04-12-07 at 11:44 PM.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 11:55 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: GSX-R Front end conversion

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....nice forks

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 12:00 AM   #3
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Why thank you.

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
Old 05-12-07, 12:18 AM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You're such a copy-cat! I've got gsxr forks too, ready to fit. I'm waiting on a gsxr wheel. How much was your abba stand? I need one.

You said you dropped the forks through the yokes.......... What should you have done instead?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 01:00 AM   #5
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Abba stand was £85 from the NEC.

Just strip clip-ons, remove top yoke, remove clip-ons, trace the speedo sensor wire up to the frame and disconnect (you'll have to cut the cable ties attatching it to the brake line) and release the head stem. Forks and yokes will drop out a piece of pi55.

My advice came from someone who didn't realise I was swapping the yokes as well.

First major bit of work I've done to my bike and it went better than expected, I'm hoping it goes back together just as easily.

Old 05-12-07, 11:23 PM   #6
Ed

Respect. Looks like major engineering to me
Old 06-12-07, 03:00 AM   #7
phil24_7
Mega Poster

No. The major engineering comes nect year when I get the frame and swing arm powder coated!!

Old 06-12-07, 09:38 AM   #8
rob13

Phil, this looks too easy?? Surely theres more to it when swapping front ends. Whats the insurance company said?
Old 06-12-07, 11:13 AM   #9
phil24_7
Mega Poster

I know. It looks too easy and so far it's been too easy, keep waiting for something to go wrong to make it a bit more difficult!

Insurance haven't been told yet so I may be looking for a new insurance company soon if my company won't cover the mods!

Old 06-12-07, 11:19 AM   #10
plowsie

Just up the value of the bike....