SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-08, 12:56 PM   #1
KillaSV

Default What temperature should it run?

Hey guys i was wondering what temp the bike should run at? In traffic it has been up to 220 degrees and the fan does not turn on. Is there a way to have the fan turn on sooner or would that require gettin a chip?
Old 18-03-08, 12:59 PM   #2
Caddy2000

Default Re: what tempature should it run?

Not too sure about degrees F, but my Sk3 has been over 100 C without the fan on, but doesn't usually get about 85 C
Old 18-03-08, 03:28 PM   #3
sv650nutter149

theres a mod u can do to have a switch... got it on my gsxr stunt bike
Old 18-03-08, 03:40 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Should be around 80 deg.C (not F) under normal riding use. Sitting in traffic, it might go as night as 103 deg.C before the fan turns on and cools things down a bit.

Shouldnt go above this, unless your in a really hot place. If it does, you have a faulty cooling system, a faulty fan, or a faulty temp gauge giving a false temp!

Matt

P.S. I assume you are using the units of Fareinheight KillaSV?
Old 19-03-08, 01:17 PM   #5
KillaSV

yes am using fahrenheit, 103 C is 217 F. Am only concerned because the little traffic am sitting in now its only low 50's where am at. This is one of the most muggiest states in the summer and the traffic is ridicolous around that time also. Am affraid i wont be able to ride much during the day unless i can keep the engine cool. Once am cruising it drops down to 160 F, 71 C but once i sit for 3-5 min it jumps right up again. Ill have to try and get that switch so i can manually turn it on
Old 19-03-08, 01:35 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Check your coolant levels, and also check your oil levels - the engine oil helps to dissipate heat as well as lubricate the moving parts.

Have you checked when the fan comes on? s long as the temp dosnt go over 120 deg.C, then it shouldnt be too bad - as far as I know, oil starts to get really thin and looses its lubricating properties after this.

Intersting trivia; Nick Sanders (rode round the world) observed tempuratures of 130 deg.C on his yamaha r1 when riding through india. The engine didnt seize.

I assume its illegal in the states to filter through traffic? I'm rarley sittign in traffic, only at traffic lights here in the UK thanks to being able to filter and keep some air goign through the radiator..

Matt
Old 19-03-08, 09:11 PM   #7
Twinny

i take it only faired models have temp gauges ? as my naked has nothing of the sort? which i find a bit silly
Old 19-03-08, 09:49 PM   #8
DoubleD

I'm sure I have see mine at 110-120 mark before the fan kicked in. Was stuck in traffic moving slowly on very hot day (it was that long ago when we last had a hot day so can't quite remember.)

BTW I have a K4 faired.
Old 20-03-08, 01:32 AM   #9
KillaSV

If i go between traffic it would be concidered wreckless driving, improper lane change, and whatever else they would put on the ticket. You would have to suck up to the officer for him not to yank your liscense. I just have a k7 pointy with no side fairings. The temp gauge is all electronical. The oil lvl and fluids are all up to par
Old 20-03-08, 04:41 PM   #10
Al_Sweetman

Fan kicks in at 104(C) exactly