SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-08, 09:28 PM   #1
Jackie_Black

Default HyperPro Combi Kit

Hi,

I've been searching for something to sort the suspension on my SV but don't think i want to go for a full race type setup just yet. I've spied the hyperpro combi kit (fork spring, rear spring & oil) for ?150.

I was just wondering if anyone from the org had experience of this kit and if it's any good.
Old 18-03-08, 10:18 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: HyperPro Combi Kit

Yep I did it and it was good.

Rear end was well and truley corrected, front perhaps a little less so but still improved.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08, 10:33 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Whats the point of changing the rear spring, the standard damper isn't anything brilliant.
Old 19-03-08, 08:32 AM   #4
Dangerous Dave

As Chris said, its mainly the rear damper thats the problem and not the spring weight. The front end progressive spings is an inprovement over standard, it will help the forks stop bottoming out!

Its not a bad kit, it will help mask the budget suspenson and is an improvement over standard on the road.
Old 19-03-08, 01:43 PM   #5
Jackie_Black

So is the general consensus that the standard schock is a bit rubbish then?

To be honest i was after the stiffer spring because i'm fairly heavy (17st ahem) and thought the kit may sort the handling out a bit. But i'd be willing to save for something a lot better if the kit isn't too good.

At the other end of the scale (just out of interest) how much is something posh going to cost for the front and back?
Old 19-03-08, 05:27 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Depends how competant/confident you are at doing the work yourself! You could ask the suspension companies for a quote if you don't feel able to do it yourself.
Old 19-03-08, 05:38 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie_Black View Post
how much is something posh going to cost for the front and back?
A lot.

Top line rear shock such as an ohlins will be about ?500

IMO for best improvement to cost stick a kwak shock on the rear and the progressive springs in the front, I think it's the ZX10 one that fits and has the heavier spring
Old 19-03-08, 05:45 PM   #8
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie_Black View Post
So is the general consensus that the standard schock is a bit rubbish then?

To be honest i was after the stiffer spring because i'm fairly heavy (17st ahem) and thought the kit may sort the handling out a bit. But i'd be willing to save for something a lot better if the kit isn't too good.

At the other end of the scale (just out of interest) how much is something posh going to cost for the front and back?
I can thoroughly recommend the racetech emulators conversion for the front forks. I used emulators, .80 Ohlins fork springs and 20wt fork oil. The front is so sorted that I can brake as hard as I dare with no diving using very strong EBC race discs and pads. Emulators, springs and oil would prob cost about ?250 and you would need to be pretty handy at diy to do it. As mentioned above a really decent race shock is going to cost just over ?500 but you could get a decent Nitron shock for around ?300.

Not cheap but you get what you pay for really. If you are riding on the road you need to seriously consider how hard you want to ride to justify that much.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-08, 05:45 PM   #9
Jackie_Black

Ah see, well i've read a lot on here and from what i can gather modifying an SV is super addictive (as i've already found out). So maybe i'll save all me pennies and get something posh and not even worry about resale value

Would an ohlins shock etc be adjustable enough to switch form 2 up touring to weekend blasting without much trouble? i.e. is it the turn of a knob etc?
Old 19-03-08, 05:48 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You can get hydraulic preload adjuster on ohlins if you're lazy, but the spring weight is still going to effect the shocks optimum working load, so when getting it built you need to consider whether you do most riding solo or 2 up.