SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-08, 08:20 AM   #21
trevrobwhite

Default Re: SV650S Tyres for Commuting

Wow, thanks guys what a response, I'm gonna checkout what's available and head down to the garage with my list, thanks for the info on net tyres. I've got Bridgestone Batlax BT020's on the front and rear at the moment, a mate is suggesting I replace the BT020 with BT010 as they will last longer, but I am considering the others you suggested as well.

Is this a good idea?
Old 20-03-08, 08:26 AM   #22
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrobwhite View Post
Wow, thanks guys what a response, I'm gonna checkout what's available and head down to the garage with my list, thanks for the info on net tyres. I've got Bridgestone Batlax BT020's on the front and rear at the moment, a mate is suggesting I replace the BT020 with BT010 as they will last longer, but I am considering the others you suggested as well.

Is this a good idea?
Eyh... I think your mate has got muddled up.

010 is a soft grippy sport tyre, the 020 is a harder compound sport touring tyre. The 010 wont last longer than the 020, the 020 will last longer than the 010 !!

010 are an old model tyre, and they have been replaced with 014's which for commuting will be useless as they are very soft, so they dont last long, also they dont work well IMHO when its cold and wet and they square off really quickly to. Also they are more expensive that 020's. Not what you want for a commuting tyre.

Stick with the tyres in the posts above, thats what you want to be looking for.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-08, 10:02 AM   #23
trevrobwhite

Thanks for that, I think I'm down to the choice of two from what I've read, the Bridgestone BT020 (or I might go for the newer BT021 as they are supposed to last longer) or the Mitchelin Pilot Road 2CT

Should I have a preference between these two?
Old 20-03-08, 10:03 AM   #24
plowsie

PR2's prob best IMO.
Old 20-03-08, 10:06 AM   #25
sinbad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAXXIS-160-60-...QQcmdZViewItem
Any tried those?
Old 20-03-08, 10:11 AM   #26
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
Not tried that exact tyre, but MAXXIS is the same company as Cheng Shin ... they make real budget tyres and .. well, like all rubber dog doo, they are "Made in Taiwan"
Old 20-03-08, 10:21 AM   #27
trevrobwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
PR2's prob best IMO.

Which ones are the PR2's?
Old 20-03-08, 10:43 AM   #28
plowsie

Michellin Pilot Roads 2's, see here for a review from Baph.
Old 20-03-08, 10:46 AM   #29
sinbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Not tried that exact tyre, but MAXXIS is the same company as Cheng Shin ... they make real budget tyres and .. well, like all rubber dog doo, they are "Made in Taiwan"
So not great then? I know it's an established brand, at least in Europe. Sponsored Brit Supersport or something too haven't they? Their sights must be set a little higher than budget tyres. I'll let someone else try them first though
Old 20-03-08, 11:37 AM   #30
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
So not great then? I know it's an established brand, at least in Europe. Sponsored Brit Supersport or something too haven't they? Their sights must be set a little higher than budget tyres. I'll let someone else try them first though
Maxxis and CS are big in pushbike tyres and off-road tyres.

As I said, not used that tyre or any of their 17" type 'big bike' tyres, but I have had Maxxis and CS tyres on some of my old 'hacks' and they were always OK in the dry, but horrific in the wet But you just ride accordingly!

Also, my current go Kart tyres are 'Maxxis Greens' and compared to Vaga (a big kart tyre brand) they are plops ... they are usable, but don?t offer the same grip as the Vagas, I won't be buying another set .. I also has a set of CS kart tyres and they were so bad that I wasn?t even prepared to keep them on long enough to wear them out, let alone buy another set

In short ? if you want a budget tyre, but accept it is just that and that it might be less than perfect performance and durability wise, then go for it, as you say a well established company!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 20-03-08 at 11:39 AM.