SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-07-08, 09:09 AM   #1
mary

Default commuting....it gets easier right?

Hi All

I'm posting for some advice. I started a new job at the start of the month which is a reasonable distance from my house (about 37 miles). i'm commuting out of London, north circular and up the M1. On the train it was 1h20-1h45 to get to and from work and the tube being packed i decided i'd had enough yesterday and took my rail card back for a refund. So now i'm on the bike (at least i can sit down- and it's a lot cheaper)

Anyway, I could do with a few tips on how to make the commute a bit easier (apart from move!). Also has anyone got any advice on good routes to get from Hammersmith to the M1? At the moment i'm going A40, A406 but it tends to get quite snarled up.

Any advice much appreciated.
cheers
mary
Old 11-07-08, 10:38 AM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: commuting....it gets easier right?

Can you come along to Soho tonight - get lots of good advice in person.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 10:45 AM   #3
mary

'fraid i can't tonight - i'm never around friday nights unfortunately (martial arts class all evening)
will try and get over at some point though
mary
Old 11-07-08, 11:00 AM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Ah shame, well see if I can start you off...
can't help on a route sorry,
Just to the south of Hammersmith on Fulham Palace Rd, corner of Lille Rd, is a Shell petrol sation - quite cheap 115.9p yesterday
What's your kit like? you happy with your earplugs? waterproofs? warm/cold enough? Visor clear enough?
Willing to consider advanced training? IAM?
M1 = Specs cameras, so you know they are forward facing only right (but don't take the p*** if you are a regular) (but my understanding is if they can't read a No. plate, they'll never know a speed limit was broken compared with the biker going through a forward facing Gatso where they knew he was breaking the speed limit just didn't know his reg so they tracked him down)
Do you, or do you want to, listen to music?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 11:07 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Could try going up Scrubs Lane,All Souls Ave,Walm Lane and Cricklewood Broadway to Staples Corner.Probably no quicker but maybe better than suicide alley.(North Circ)
How far up the M1 do you go?As its all roadworks as far as Luton you could try the A1 to either Welwyn or up to Hitchin and cut across some quite nice roads to either Harpenden or Luton.
Old 11-07-08, 11:11 AM   #6
wyrdness

I presume that you're going to Shepherds Bush, then the A3220 to the A40. I can't think of an easier route. You could try A219 then A404 to A406, but I suspect that will be even more snarled up. You could also try the B408. Though you can filter more easily in slow / stationary traffic on wider roads like dual carriageways.

Where do you find that the worst traffic is? Can you find any rat-runs around it? I used to ride from Isleworth to Finchley via A4, then A406 at Chiswick roundabout, but have now found various rat-runs though Ealing which save a lot of time.

Also, wear earplugs (if you aren't doing so already), else you'll very likely end up with serious hearing problems. Permanent tinnitus isn't very nice.
Old 11-07-08, 11:12 AM   #7
BillyC
Mega Poster

Hi Mary

Yes, it gets easier... but don't push yourself just yet.

It's very easy to be astonished by the speed that other bikes cut through heavy traffic, and filter through the impossible.

You will get better at this, but remember your safety is paramount. To be a real london pro, such as the esteemed Sid Squid, it does take years.

Some little points for you to think about:

1. Don't confuse speed with being fast... consistency is the key.
2. Bide your time, don't rush through the gaps.
3. Don't go for a gap just because the bike infront of you did... it may have been appropriate for them at that time, but by the time you get there, it may not be.
4. Keep calm, remember your slow control, and be in command of your bike at all times.
Old 11-07-08, 11:12 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

well the other logical way is wes**** down to either the A5 or A41 up onto the end of the M1, but they will both be pretty busy at rush hour.

as to "getting easier" not sure what you're after here, riding in heavy traffic does improve your skills without doubt, so on that score, yes it does get easier, however ****s in cars are always about the same

Couple of things to help.

1. build in getting changed/do hair* time when you get to work.

2. get good, warm waterproof gear including boots doesn't need to be fashionable just robust.

3. Make sure you have a good luggage system, I know people take the p*ss on topboxes but it could well be the answer, but a good tankbag or tail pack will make those time you need to take stuff in that much easier.

4.leave shoes/jacket or whatever at work and rotate as needed to save carrying in everyday.

Hope that was the kind of thing you were after.

* or whatever, coffee, fag

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 11-07-08 at 11:16 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 11:31 AM   #9
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
well the other logical way is westway down to either the A5 or A41 up onto the end of the M1, but they will both be pretty busy at rush hour.
Might be worth a try, but I'd imagine that it could be traffic hell, especially on the ring road (A501) around Marylebone. Bikes are allowed in the bus lanes on the A41, which might help. It's just a pity that the bloody buses get in the way.
Old 11-07-08, 01:34 PM   #10
mary

Thanks for the advice guys - i really appreciate it
I haven't worn ear plugs or listened to music so I'll try both (but not simultaneously)

Avoiding the M1 and taking the A1 might be good too- i'm travelling to harpenden.

I bowed to practicality a few years ago when i was teaching and bought a top box. I feel middle aged but frankly I think they're great

I checked out when the road works on the M1 were due to finish - Dec 08 and March 09- crap. The speed cameras maybe fwd facing but there's not a lot you can do when the traffic doesn't want you to pass

On the plus side, the traffic isn't actually too heavy. I used to go from hammersmith to ilford or hackney and that was much more tiring because of all the stopping and starting, filtering etc.

I'll bare everything people have said in mind and before long i'll be a properly hardened commute biker with a bits of 'for sale' boards on my bike to keep the wind off

Thanks guys
mary