SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-02-12, 06:11 PM   #1
andyb

Default Anyone with Virgin Media?

Haven't posted on here for ages but as you lot are a bunch of geeks I thought I'd give it a try!

Thinking of swapping over from Sky to VM and probably having my phone and broadband with them too, are they better/worse than sky? I've heard stories of broadband dropping out for a few hours at a time, is there much truth in this as I'd need the broadband for checking work emails etc.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 24-02-12, 06:24 PM   #2
Bluefish

Default Re: Anyone with Virgin Media?

Been with them for last couple of years, had no problem at all, guess it depends what package you would be on, i'm on 50meg, later on this year to be 120 meg.
Old 24-02-12, 06:30 PM   #3
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

That's weird, as you were typing that I was on the phone to Virgin Media. But it wasn't about service, it was about cost.
I've been with them for around 18 months, after a BT debacle, and the quality of connection is pretty consistently good. On the 2 or 3 occasions broadband connections hasn't worked, a free call to them has fixed in very efficiently. The broadband connection I have with them is quick and efficient enough to meet exam board standards for marking and submission of data.
My gripe is that their phone call cost a bloody packet!
Old 24-02-12, 06:33 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

been with them for about 14 years (cableinet, blueyonder, virgin) started when they done their £10 unlimited dial up. in that whole time i have had a problem maybe once a year the rest of the time its rock solid. i have tv and broadband but no phone as i use voice over ip. this works out a looot cheaper than sky and bt as i don't have to pay for a phone line or calls. the new throttling at peek times is a bit nippy but most if not all isp's do this now. another good thing is they are rolling out double speed.

something to consider about Sky is that if your dish moves in high winds you get a crap tv picture and with cable there is no ugly fekin dish bolted to your house.

my mother-in-law made the mistake of switching and she is regretting it. poor picture quality and dodgy broadband.

a lot of people slate virgin but my personal experience of them is that they are pretty reliable. well in sunny fife anyway.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-12, 06:35 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
Haven't posted on here for ages but as you lot are a bunch of geeks I thought I'd give it a try!

Thinking of swapping over from Sky to VM and probably having my phone and broadband with them too, are they better/worse than sky? I've heard stories of broadband dropping out for a few hours at a time, is there much truth in this as I'd need the broadband for checking work emails etc.

Cheers,
Andy
quidco reckoned they were doing £150 cashback if it helps

http://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/

Last edited by Dave20046; 24-02-12 at 07:15 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-12, 06:48 PM   #6
Jabba

Was with Virgin (ntlworld) then switched to a connection that used the phone line. Big mistake. Was paying for 25MB and getting 2MB.

Switched back to Virgin for phone and internet. Paying for 20MB, getting 19.8MB.

Service has always be good in my experience. Don't use the phone much so can't comment on the cost of that.

HTH
Old 24-02-12, 07:13 PM   #7
Bluefish

Their current offer, http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-...ial_offer.html
Old 24-02-12, 08:42 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

We've been on virgin (Telewest, blueyonder) on various packages over the last 16ish years.

We've never had an issue beyond a fibre fault and when they've been doing maintenance (our area's BT is a mess and takes every utility twice as long to fix out)

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 02:37 AM   #9
ravingdavis

I've just had Virgin Media put in at my new place. 100 Mb broadband which I did a speedtest.net on the day after installation and the result was 101.6Mb. I dont get those speeds on my laptop of course and the bottle neck is now my Wireless Network - Even that is triband 5GHz N.
Old 25-02-12, 08:50 AM   #10
speedplay

I'm with them.
Got the unlimited phone, basic tv and the xl broadband.
Had a few settling in problems when I first went across to them fully but they soon rectified the issues.
I've got friends who left virgin to go to bt and regret signing the contract.