SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 25-02-14, 01:15 AM   #31
The Basket

Default Re: I can't believe it? Independence?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post
Who said you had any rights?!

GUARDS!!
Old 25-02-14, 02:08 AM   #32
Milky Bar Kid

Default I can't believe it? Independence?????

Tam, nope. I didn't. I identified myself as Scottish first and foremost. Why do we have to be one or the other?! I'm Scottish first but I am also British.
Old 25-02-14, 08:04 AM   #33
pegasus
Mega Poster

I am enjoying this debate,

Hearing peoples opinions is truly eye opening, and yet I cant pull fault with any single aspect of any of the views voiced.

To me all the news, views, opinions, debates, etc, are all based on vague interpretations of what could have happened or what could happen.

Every time I hear a politician speak on the subject I see nothing and hear nothing, almost like being at a sales convention where the speaker drones on about benefits and features, in the end it will only benefit the person selling the product.

As has been previously written, its very difficult to say what will happen and who will agree to it and when it will occur, because its all so.....well, vague.

What we do know is that there is a lot of noise at the moment, and it is being noticed and gaining attention. And in the background behind the noise unnoticed forces are at work....sorry to be so....vague...lol

P

pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-14, 09:26 AM   #34
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

It's quite simple, those in Scotland can have their independence on two conditions:

1) They make sure the Proclaimers never cross the border or darken our English airways again

and

2) I get Ewan McGregor and David Tennant all to myself

Done deal.

Old 25-02-14, 09:34 AM   #35
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
Tam, nope. I didn't. I identified myself as Scottish first and foremost. Why do we have to be one or the other?! I'm Scottish first but I am also British.
I'm sorry, you're right. I over simplified and shouldn't have assumed your motivation.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-14, 11:28 AM   #36
Milky Bar Kid

It's fine. I just don't like this notion that the some of the Yes brigade band about that if you want to vote No then you are not Scottish. I'm very definitely Scottish.

I think Peg sums up my views on it. Everything is so vague about what's going to happen if we get independence. What's the defence plan? What's the currency plan? Etc etc. I know the SNP have given assurances about these things but they actually can't because they don't know! They say the pound in a currency union, the UK say no. They say we'll be straight into the EU, the EU say not necessarily.

I have a bad gut feeling about the whole thing which I can't necessarily explain. But I trust my instincts most days and rarely do they let me down.
Old 25-02-14, 11:55 AM   #37
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
The UK flags gonna look rubbish though
You can keep the flag. Our leaving present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Berwick-upon-Tweed will be decided by coin toss.
You can have that as well. Scots' generosity.

Quote:
I'm Scottish first but I am also British.
And you'll still be British because Britain is this big island we all live on (except Haggis) so don't let that sway you. Also Carlisle is rubbish, even worse that Berwick-upon-Tweed, so all in all it's Saltire face paint time in the MBK household!
Old 25-02-14, 12:19 PM   #38
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
It's fine. I just don't like this notion that the some of the Yes brigade band about that if you want to vote No then you are not Scottish. I'm very definitely Scottish.
I agree that's a very simplistic view. Identity is a bit more complicated than that. My family and even my occupation are probably more important sources of personal identity than my nationality. You can vote No and be Scottish or vote Yes and still consider yourself to be British. I do think the relative weight of importance attached to these things might sway the decision for some people, which is what I was getting at earlier.

On the other side of the argument it's been assumed that my support for independence means I must be some kind of slabbering, chippy jock, English-hating, Braveheart-watching, Burns-reciting, head-in-the-clouds, haggis-munching cyber nat when, in fact, only about 50% of that is true.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-14, 12:23 PM   #39
Dicky Ticker

One thing that pi55es me off is not having a vote due to my residential status although I was born,educated and lived in Scotland for 25 years.

Can I claim as a refugee and get a free house and loads of Wonga in England.
Old 25-02-14, 12:34 PM   #40
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Forgive me if my understanding is wrong but, they can keep the pound as a Scottish pound of their own can't they? We aren't the only country to use the pound.