SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-01-19, 07:30 PM   #6861
BanannaMan

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

My gripe of the day is yet another weekend snowstorm.
Couldn't we schedule some of this during the week when it will disrupt work
or at least slow things down for a couple of days?

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-19, 10:49 PM   #6862
Bibio
Mega Poster

getting home to a leak in the kitchen. phone heating installers to be told tough....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 10:23 AM   #6863
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Tearing up old tiles from a concrete floor. They don't want to come up and it's a battle. Covered head to foot in dust. Have to wear a dust mask which means my glasses steam up. The floor looks pretty uneven now due to tile cement residue so that'll be the next job.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 14-01-19, 10:26 AM   #6864
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Moan #2 woken by mice in the ceiling again. I've spent hours trying to find how they're getting in and blocking the smallest holes. Most investigation needed.

Old 14-01-19, 12:17 PM   #6865
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Moan #2 woken by mice in the ceiling again. I've spent hours trying to find how they're getting in and blocking the smallest holes. Most investigation needed.

Mice can squeeze through gaps as small as you little finger, they are destructive and being rodents need to chew everything to keep their teeth from getting too long. We had them invade the house one winter ( Brown woodmice) and I tried to trap them in various things to relocate them outside but they are proper houdinis - so in the end I had to deploy traps baited with nutella which they find irresistible - put traps around the skirting boards next to walls as they tend to stick close to walls at night when moving around. Many woodmice get into garages first and then move through cavities into house and loft ( where they put hobnail boots on and dance around all night ).

During their time in the loft and garage they chewed up books, leather shoes, handbags, teddy bears - luckily they did not start on the electrical cables and cause any power problems or fires, but for their size they were very destructive - I eventually trapped 7 and they have not been back since. Avoid leaving anything edible like birdfood in you garage as this is what started our problem.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 14-01-19 at 12:23 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 12:52 PM   #6866
Bibio
Mega Poster

borrow a cat
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 01:33 PM   #6867
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Tearing up old tiles from a concrete floor. They don't want to come up and it's a battle. Covered head to foot in dust. Have to wear a dust mask which means my glasses steam up. The floor looks pretty uneven now due to tile cement residue so that'll be the next job.

Did that two years ago when we had our kitchen done, killed one sds drill using a tile lifting attachment. Nearly killed me.

The end result was worth it
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 02:03 PM   #6868
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Did that two years ago when we had our kitchen done, killed one sds drill using a tile lifting attachment. Nearly killed me.

The end result was worth it
Well it's all up now. Got to level it next. Something else i haven't done before.

Old 14-01-19, 02:09 PM   #6869
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Mice can squeeze through gaps as small as you little finger, they are destructive and being rodents need to chew everything to keep their teeth from getting too long. We had them invade the house one winter ( Brown woodmice) and I tried to trap them in various things to relocate them outside but they are proper houdinis - so in the end I had to deploy traps baited with nutella which they find irresistible - put traps around the skirting boards next to walls as they tend to stick close to walls at night when moving around. Many woodmice get into garages first and then move through cavities into house and loft ( where they put hobnail boots on and dance around all night ).

During their time in the loft and garage they chewed up books, leather shoes, handbags, teddy bears - luckily they did not start on the electrical cables and cause any power problems or fires, but for their size they were very destructive - I eventually trapped 7 and they have not been back since. Avoid leaving anything edible like birdfood in you garage as this is what started our problem.
Nutella, that's a good idea. I've been using peanut butter. I've kept bird food in the house in a plastic tub. I've just moved it to a hook in the garage in a bid to try and draw them away from the house. I'll move it again to the shed.

Old 14-01-19, 04:42 PM   #6870
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I found one in the air box of an old CB250rsd that I bought a couple of years ago. I think it must have travelled down from Lincoln inside the bike when the courier delivered it. I bet it had a hell of a shock when I started it up first time!

Also had them in the loft in our old house. Shortly after my son was born. My wife went away with him to visit family for a few days... a chance for me to get the first proper sleep in 2 weeks of having become a new father, or so I thought / hoped. But I was kept awake all night by the sound (of the hobnail boots ) . Turns out they were snacking on a huge box of bars of soap that the previous owners had left hidden in the corner of the loft.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote