SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-19, 07:56 PM   #21
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Someone's put a very nice condition one up for sale on FB today...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...74615146698413
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-19, 07:11 AM   #22
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Someone's put a very nice condition one up for sale on FB today...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...74615146698413
Not a bad price. I've spent well over £2000 on spares alone. That one needs some work to make her look original, but I would say it's worth the money
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-19, 07:49 AM   #23
Craig380
Mega Poster

Don't do what I did over the weekend and browse through back-issues of Classic Mechanics from 2012 / 2013. Classic strokers were dirt cheap compared to now. An RD200 in decent condition with current MOT etc for £800 ono!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 07:55 AM   #24
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Don't do what I did over the weekend and browse through back-issues of Classic Mechanics from 2012 / 2013. Classic strokers were dirt cheap compared to now. An RD200 in decent condition with current MOT etc for £800 ono!
It breaks my heart sometimes to think of some of the bikes I've had in the past 7 how cheap I sold them for.
So, a little update. I've been having electrical problems with the little 200, which i think I may have found. The electric start spring was staying connected when the engine was running & burned out 2 Reg/Recs . I've ripped the wiring out & will be performing a little surgery on a couple of broken wires too.
On a plus point, she now has a new seat cover, which I'm not too pleased with, so have ordered another to get it right & stainless steel clutch & brake bolts. I've also glass fibred the broken seat cowl & have my decal set ready for when it eventually gets painted. Money is a little tight at the mo, so play has stopped for the time being. I did solve a little problem with the bike's running, I'd fitted 2 left hand slides in the carbs, so that's now sorted & she runs sweet.
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 07:35 AM   #25
Othen

Default 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
It breaks my heart sometimes to think of some of the bikes I've had in the past 7 how cheap I sold them for.
So, a little update. I've been having electrical problems with the little 200, which i think I may have found. The electric start spring was staying connected when the engine was running & burned out 2 Reg/Recs . I've ripped the wiring out & will be performing a little surgery on a couple of broken wires too.
On a plus point, she now has a new seat cover, which I'm not too pleased with, so have ordered another to get it right & stainless steel clutch & brake bolts. I've also glass fibred the broken seat cowl & have my decal set ready for when it eventually gets painted. Money is a little tight at the mo, so play has stopped for the time being. I did solve a little problem with the bike's running, I'd fitted 2 left hand slides in the carbs, so that's now sorted & she runs sweet.

That is quite incredible, your attention to detail is phenomonal.

I have a feeling you would simple hate the oily rag renovation of my 1976 Bloop:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ccm_...100-t4832.html

Best wishes,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 10-03-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 08:37 AM   #26
Craig380
Mega Poster

The B100P looks good! You've saved it and got it running again, that's the important thing. I passed my bike test in 1981 on an identical model (even the same colour).

I think I only ever saw 65 on the clock once, on the legendary Beeford straight in East Yorkshire (on the A1079 to Bridlington) so if you can see 60 on the speedo, it's fine They never had much power, and the delivery is like an MZ, just rev it through the gears until it goes flat then change up. As mentioned elsewhere, abusing the silencer with mallets, plumber's tubing and old bowden cables fixed in a drill chuck will ensure it's giving all of its mighty 10 (claimed) BHP.
Old 10-03-19, 08:53 AM   #27
Othen

Default 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Quote:
The B100P looks good! You've saved it and got it running again, that's the important thing. I passed my bike test in 1981 on an identical model (even the same colour).

I think I only ever saw 65 on the clock once, on the legendary Beeford straight in East Yorkshire (on the A1079 to Bridlington) so if you can see 60 on the speedo, it's fine They never had much power, and the delivery is like an MZ, just rev it through the gears until it goes flat then change up. As mentioned elsewhere, abusing the silencer with mallets, plumber's tubing and old bowden cables fixed in a drill chuck will ensure it's giving all of its mighty 10 (claimed) BHP.

Thank you for that Craig. I never rode a Bloop back in the day, so it is helpful to know that 65 MPH was about the maximum speed. The other factor is that I’m 6’2” and 90KG - which probably accounts for the missing 5 MPH!

I’m pretty pleased with the Bloop, it was far too good to scrap and is saved. I even like the oily rag finish and don’t mind the little faults it has (like the pilot jet screw, the little cover over the carburettor missing and the pop riveted plate over the hole in the black painted muffler). In many ways those little foibles add to rather than detract from the bike - it is like someone’s dad just parked it outside after commuting to his job at the shoe factory in Kettering and left it there. It even has a 1986 tax disk on it in the original (rusty) holder.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 10-03-19 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 10:01 AM   #28
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
).

I think I only ever saw 65 on the clock once, on the legendary Beeford straight in East Yorkshire (on the A1079 to Bridlington) so if you can see 60 on the speedo, it's fine .
Ah the old,"Beeford Straight".I still ride it on my SV but it always takes me back my youth when I used ride to,"Brid" on my Norton Dommie 88/ 500

PS
Lovely work on the bike

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 10-03-19 at 10:07 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 12:42 PM   #29
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you for that Craig. I never rode a Bloop back in the day, so it is helpful to know that 65 MPH was about the maximum speed. The other factor is that I’m 6’2” and 90KG - which probably accounts for the missing 5 MPH!
It's worth noting that 65mph on the clock was achieved in the following conditions:
- rider aged 17, weighing 10 stone
- feet on pillion pegs, chin on tank, left hand on fork leg for that 'flat tracker' style
- 1 mile run-up along the straight, with a mild tailwind

Ah, youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Ah the old,"Beeford Straight".I still ride it on my SV but it always takes me back my youth when I used ride to,"Brid" on my Norton Dommie 88/ 500
It was THE top-speed testing ground in the late 70s / early 80. Well, during the daytime, anyway. There was a well-known case in the early 80s of a biker hitting a stray cow while giving it the beans along the straight at night
Old 10-03-19, 12:51 PM   #30
Othen

Quote:
It's worth noting that 65mph on the clock was achieved in the following conditions:

- rider aged 17, weighing 10 stone

- feet on pillion pegs, chin on tank, left hand on fork leg for that 'flat tracker' style

- 1 mile run-up along the straight, with a mild tailwind

It was THE top-speed testing ground in the late 70s / early 80. Well, during the daytime, anyway. There was a well-known case in the early 80s of a biker hitting a stray cow while giving it the beans along the straight at night

I thought that might be the case, in which case aiming for 60 MPH with a 6’2” 15 stone rider sitting bolt upright and wearing a puffa jacket sounds quite reasonable. If we get a nice day this week I’ll take the Bloop out to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk