SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-05, 06:50 PM   #1
SPeeeeDY

Default Engine noise

I was told the other day by my wate who was following me that there was a strange noise coming from my bike at slow speeds (eg, when exhaust was quiet). He said it sounded a bit like a noisey chain, but it wasnt the chain.
I then listerned out for this noise, and it seems to be coming from the engine. Do SV650's have a noisy engine? I have done 250ish miles on the bike now and it seems to be getting louder (although it may be me trying haredt to hear it).
It isnt a too loud noise, just a new noise to me, i have never heard an engine sound like this.

Is everything OK or have i bought a dud? The bike only has 3300 miles on the clock and still has 4 months warantee so if outs wrong i would like to get it fixed soon

Cheers

SPeeeeDY
Old 26-03-05, 06:51 PM   #2
Iansv

could be the camchain.... do a search for it, been discussed before
Old 26-03-05, 08:09 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Check the engine oil level with bike upright level ground.If thats ok get it looked at asap cos you invalidate your warranty if you dont act as soon as you have aproblem.
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-05, 08:45 PM   #4
wheelnut

Mine makes a noise too, It has done from new!

It sounds like it is coming from the front fairing or mudguard

Ive tried everything else

12000 miles, so i dont think its mechanical
Old 26-03-05, 08:50 PM   #5
SPeeeeDY

thanks for the replys, this 'noise' is deffinatly coming from the engine. The next time i see another SV an sherburn or a bike shop i will ask the owner to start it up and let me listen, hopefully it will be just the normal SV engine noise.

Im also gonna book it in for a service soon so i will ask them to check it out then.
Anyone recomend any suzuki garages in/near leeds? Dyrons? Powersports? Colin Appleyard?

SPeeeeDY
Old 26-03-05, 09:22 PM   #6
SPUD

mine rattles,cam chain . most sv's do it. .
Old 27-03-05, 12:32 PM   #7
Peter Henry

I noticed that the Sv makes more noise mechanically than the very fine "sewing machine" type sounds that emanate from the superb modern IL4 motors. I think this is just a part of it being a VEE. I am such a sad f*ck that I love to run my bike for a few minutes after a ride just to listen to both engine and end can.it is all part of the deal!Now if you borrowed Shooter's new bike,(Ducati) with it's dry clutch then you would really hear some noise coming from the motor!
Perhaps your pal is not used to the Vee twin harmonies and via this is making you more nervous than you need to be? Just do the basic checks as the guys have been mentioning and if in real doubt pop to a dealer for a second opinion.
Old 27-03-05, 02:10 PM   #8
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeeeeDY
Anyone recomend any suzuki garages in/near leeds? Dyrons? Powersports? Colin Appleyard?

SPeeeeDY
I get good service from CA but i pay for it. I can't imagine Dyrons or Powersport being any cheaper.