SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-07, 07:38 PM   #1
wtdafk

Default GRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

hey every one, i want to murder my bike!!!!

Left work today at 5ish and got 2 feet and my bike went dead, hmm i thaught, so took of the seat and checked fuse... ignition fuse was blown but luckly i had 2 spare on the bike so swaped the fuse over put the bike back together and left once again.....

2 miles down the road the bike goes dead again, pull over and do the same, swap fuses again, put together start the bike and it dies again!!!! i tryed 3 more times as i seemed to have spare fuses in the box every time it blew... it even teased me by working while the seat was off but as soon as the seat was back on and i was ready it died!!!!, so by then i had ran out of fuses but thatught **** it and used one of the blue 15 fuses, anyway i managed to get home on that blue fuse......

ok 2 questions if you can be so kind,

what could cause this problem? i couldent see any damaged wires and there was no other symptons apart from the ignition fuse,

the next question is will i have damaged the bike by useing the blue fuse? or will it damage it if i use it again?

this is soo anoying as i jus pain 350 for a new cain, service and mot and now im broke!!

also thanx for the biker who stopped to see if i was ok and the fella who lent me his fone, and also thanx for u guys for your help, by the way my bike is a curvy 02 650,

cheeers!
Old 06-04-07, 12:37 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: GRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sounds like the usual wires chaffing through under the rider seat causing a short. Search on here and on the main site for extra info, but on many curveys the rider seat bolt on the left goes through onto the wiring loom and chafes through it. If the bike runs ok without the seat on, prehaps the bolt itself is shorting out the ignition to the frame?

Take the seat off, put the bolt back in and screw through to see where it touches the loom and then look carfully for damaged wires.

HTH
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 12:53 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

have you changed any of the lights?
Old 06-04-07, 03:34 PM   #4
wtdafk

Na i havent touched the lights, i will check for damaged wires tommrow as ive bin enjoying the sun with a few beers today and will probbly break something if i try now, cheers for the advice,

Will it damage the bike running it with a 15amp ignition fuse instead of the 10 amp, i think the little number on them means amps but feel free to correct me.

Thanks
Old 06-04-07, 08:52 PM   #5
xbox650

Altough mines a pointy , I had the same problem . I turned out to be a bad connection on my G-pack . We reconnected the original blocks and by-passed the shorted connection with a wire bridge . This sorted it out straight away . As for the higher rated fuse , I ran for months with a 30 in there and the bike suffered no ill effects .
Old 06-04-07, 10:54 PM   #6
Heed

You can run with a higher rated fuse fitted (it is amps BTW!) but I wouldn't reccomend it. There's a reason it's a 10 Amp fuse in the first place.
Old 07-04-07, 08:00 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

I never got as far as blown fuses with my curvey. Having been told of the chaffing problem, I went looking, sure enough the outer insulation was chaffed all the way through, with 2 wires in need of replacement.

simply cut away the outer insulation for about a foot (To give room to work and inspect for any further damage) cut out the damaged wires, slide on some heat shrink tube, solder new wire in place and a quick blast with the hot air.

Neatly wrap some new tape and nobody will ever know you were ever there. Then tie wrap back in place making sure that the wire is protected from known chaffing points such as seat screws etc.
Old 07-04-07, 11:05 AM   #8
wtdafk

cheers for the replys, well ive just looked for any uncoverd wires and they all look ok at the mo, i havent got the tape off yet tho, i did see one thing that was strange looking tho, next to the fuses theres about 3 wires that go in to a clear plastic connectopr thing about 2 to 3 cm2 about 3cm before they get to it they come out of a black plastic tube but at the end of the fuse they seem to be melted to the end of it,

is that normal or have i found my problem? ive got a pic but dont know howto post it on here, ive got msn to if that helps i cud send sum1 a pic.
cheers
Old 08-04-07, 02:55 PM   #9
Philbo

Sounds like you've found the problem. From your description I going to guess that it's a bit of clear connector block your talking about. You should never have any melted or heat damaged wires or connectors, finding them means something's way wrong! The good news is that 9 times out of 10 melted wires are a direct result of a bad connection. Connector block is a wee metal tube with two srews in it covered in plastic insulation, you stick a couple if trimmed wires in the end and tighten the screws...jobs a good un! On a viby V-twin the screws can easily loosen giving you a bad connection. Bad connections generate heat which damages cables, but also generates high transient currents that can cause fuses to blow. Replace the connector block, tidy up the wires as best you can and see how you get on. The one problem about this sort of fault finding is that you can't always be sure which came first, the chicken or the egg... It is possible that there is or has been something else wrong to cause this heat damage. Pics of connector block below, and pics of nicely trimmed wire ready to stuff in to nice new connector block!

P.S. If you don't recognose any of this PM me and i'll give you my email address to send the pics to, I'm a control engineer so hopefully can help you on this one.

Last edited by Philbo; 08-04-07 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 11:41 AM   #10
wtdafk

hiya, well the melted bit is not on the clear plastic connector but on the black tubeing covering the wireiing before it, im thinking it might actully be like that anyway where they have clamped the wires to keep them together, ive been looking all morning and playing with wires and the bike now refuses to break another fuse!!!!

its really fustrating but i guess it working is a good thing it just makes finding the problem even harder!

ive got by dads bandit 600 as a spare at the mo so hopefully mine stays ok, the weired thing is when i tryed to insure this 10 year old bandit worth only £800 they quoted me more than the insurance for my SV and wont just let me add a bike to the policy!!!