SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-10-07, 10:05 AM   #1
Colby

Default Rip off at petrol stations - possible faulty pumps

Ok. I went to my local petrol station last night and the cost of a litre of unleaded was 99.9p

I had a tenner on me so I filled it to 10 quid. Then I noticed that the readout also said 10 litres exactly. This puzzled me as 10 litres at 99.9p should be £9.99

So either I got charged too much or the readout for how much petrol that went in is wrong.

If this is the case how do I actually know I got the petrol I paid for

What does anyone else think?
Old 25-10-07, 10:13 AM   #2
sarah

Default Re: Rip off at petrol stations - possible faulty pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Ok. I went to my local petrol station last night and the cost of a litre of unleaded was 99.9p

I had a tenner on me so I filled it to 10 quid. Then I noticed that the readout also said 10 litres exactly. This puzzled me as 10 litres at 99.9p should be £9.99

So either I got charged too much or the readout for how much petrol that went in is wrong.

The naughty petrol station people obviously haven't calibrated their pumps properly.
Old 25-10-07, 10:18 AM   #3
Captain Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post

prob means you were just over 9.99 but not enough to move the quant display on, theres probably some tollerance allowed on the readouts as well, 0.01% is pretty accurate dont you think????
Old 25-10-07, 10:28 AM   #4
Pedro68

At first, I thought "tight-ar$e git" (jokingly!), but then I realise that you're paying 99.9p per litre ... which seems a little more than you COULD have got it for ... and THEN I realised that you're in Berkshire. So ... I'm going with what the others said ... pump calibration and 0.01% ain't bad LOL

Disclaimer: No offence intended
Old 25-10-07, 10:34 AM   #5
thor

1 penny

Jeez...
Old 25-10-07, 10:41 AM   #6
slark01

every penny counts!
Think on this, I put all my 1 pences in a jar for a year at the end I get quite a sum, last year was around £240 and change.
Old 25-10-07, 11:18 AM   #7
thor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_one_penny_coin

So 1 penny piece is 3.58 grams. £240 is 24,000 coins. That's 85.44 kg. That's a **** load of coins. Do you run a super market or something?
Old 25-10-07, 11:19 AM   #8
gettin2dizzy

camels **** and sandstorm seem appropriate.
Old 25-10-07, 11:20 AM   #9
Dicky Ticker

£240= 24000p=65.763p per day------------JEEZ,you must get a lot of change
Old 25-10-07, 11:31 AM   #10
Colby

It was more the fact that I hadnt noticed the difference before but it just made me think "how do I know that it has pumped out what it says it has?"