SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-06, 10:36 AM   #1
the oaf

Default Insurance advice needed.

I've currently got a multi-bike policy covering (I thought) my Xtra Raptor for pleasure, and my SV for commuting.

As I want to turn the SV into a project, I've been looking for a really cheap, throwaway scooter to get me to and from the station every day. A local dealer has had a nice little Taishan come in (good runner, but the bodywork is a bit battered), and wants 295 notes for it. I contacted my insurance broker to find out about adding the 50cc scoot third party as an adjustment, and although I'm already paying fairly close to a grand fully comp, they still want another 15 notes. When I asked if it makes a difference that the bigger bikes would no longer be used for commuting at all, I was told that the policy covers all the bikes under the same rules, so I can only add the 50cc scooter fully comp, and all the bikes are classified as commuters (which probably explains why I've been paying so much if they've got my limited edition Xtra raptor down as a commuter)

I'm never going to use the bigger bikes for commuting again, just the scooter... but if I tell them it's for commuting, I'll be subject to them classifying the Raptor and SV under that usage as well, which will load my premium. I just ride the bike to and from the station (not my place of work) well outside normal rush hour (5 in the morning, and between half 8 and half 9 at night), so technically it's not commuting as such; and as it costs less than three hundred notes, and my Excess is 250, if it gets nicked or broken, I'm not going to claim... I'll just find another one. So what I really want to know, is can I get away with classifying its use as "pleasure"?

What's the worst that could happen?
Old 14-03-06, 10:39 AM   #2
Grinch

If you hit anyone, they would say your insurance wasn't vaid and try to get any costs off you... so off to court you would go.

Might be better of just getting a policy just for the scooter... That way you can have it third party.
Old 14-03-06, 10:50 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

For the £15 I'd cover it under the same commuting rules as the other bikes, when your policy is set to expire then phone arround insurance companies and see if you can get a better / more detailed policy that takes in all details.
Old 14-03-06, 10:59 AM   #4
the oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
If you hit anyone, they would say your insurance wasn't vaid and try to get any costs off you... so off to court you would go.

Might be better of just getting a policy just for the scooter... That way you can have it third party.
I did think about that, but literally the only time I would ride it would be at 5 in the morning, or gone half 8 at night, so would be able to blag that I was just going to the supermarket.

I'd rather just have the one policy, but having a separate one for the scooter is a good idea. How much do they load a policy if a bike is going to be used for ommuting? And anyone know what my premium will be for third party only on a 50cc scooter worth 300 quid - 2 years NCD, 1 SP30, 1 fault claim, 2 non fault claims? (hopefully about 50p)

Cheers.
Old 14-03-06, 11:27 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

It doesn't seem that most companies load massively for commuter bikes... What to do, is abuse one of the online services Do one quote with commuting, and one without, for any bike, just to see what difference it makes.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-06, 11:39 AM   #6
NigelK2B12

Default Insurance

Probably not much help until your policy is due for renewal but when it is go and have a look at EBIKEINSURE
They (So Far) have provided a brilliant service, I paid £118.00 for my bandit 1200 fully comp then asked for business use to be included which was no extra cost, the bought a GS500 for work and they only wanted a further £41.00
Policy docs arrive in under 2 days, you can have up to 4 bikes including friends listed on the policy. Abaout the only thing you dont get is 3rd party cover to ride other bikes.
Give them a go I cant fault them at the moment
http://www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/
Good Luck