SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-05-14, 05:49 AM   #1
hongman

Default Insurance procedures

As some of you may know I was recently involved in an accident in my car.

Now having never been through this process before I have already learnt some important things... The hard way.

My car is being picked up later and towed to god knows where for damage assessment. It will be written off of that I am sure.

What normally happens from here?

So they assess the car and its a write off.

Do they keep it?
Do they give it back?
Do I have to buy it back?

It has a full tank of diesal in it as well which is worth 70 quid, I don't want to lose that if possible lol.

Any tips?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 17-05-14, 11:17 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Insurance procedures

Before anyone can answer in detail.

Who in your opinion was at fault and are you claiming on your policy against a 3rd party?, directly against the 3rd party? or you are claiming against your own policy?
Old 17-05-14, 11:18 AM   #3
hongman

In my opinion they were at fault.
I am using an accident management company to claim on their policy.

They are claiming on mine.

Old 17-05-14, 04:41 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Do you know someone (or two) with a diseasal car who needs the fuel? Drain it and let them have it for a fair price. When our beloved Cavalier was shortened by a foot and common sense said I'd never see it again after it headed off to the assessors, the full tank of petrol I'd put in it the night before was emptied by the builders working on our extension at the time. I added a few cans full to my other car, kept a full can for the lawnmower, and they had the rest. Scarily they knew exactly how to get into the tank via the fuel sender to bypass the anti-syphon mesh in the filler neck and chocked the car up on one side to get it all. It had just enough left in the system to drive it up on the tow truck before spluttering dry.

Good luck with the claim!
Old 17-05-14, 04:45 PM   #5
hongman

Yeah I have tried haha. I have no idea how to bypass the anti siphon device, I didn't even know it had one til after i had huffed and puffed til red in the face!

Old 17-05-14, 06:26 PM   #6
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongman View Post
I didn't even know it had one til after i had huffed and puffed til red in the face!

can't remember where, but i'm sure i had it on fairly good assurance that you were a good sucker of anything!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 02:30 AM   #7
hongman

Arghhh this is taking so long just to update my car has been towed and assessed, and valued at over twice the amount I paid for it. Still, I still keep getting mixed opinions from various parties involved in chances of success ranging from 70/30 to 50/50 to 100%...

Just wish they would hurry the hell up, causing massive grief with the ex as I can't pick the kids up at the weekend :-/

Old 01-06-14, 06:02 AM   #8
bobbleheadbarne

Always gpnwith 50/50 never 100% mate

Old 01-06-14, 10:37 AM   #9
Juju

Why on earth,when theres a chance of it being split liability, are you using an AMC?

You'r worried about £70 of fuel - but your insurer would have recovered your car, stored it for free, but your AMC is charging YOU probably £250 recovery and £30 a day parking charges!

If they get half back - where are they going to claim the remaining 50% from? And if your insurer fails topay, citing you didn't mitigate your losses?

Do you have a "hire car" on a credit arrangement? Is that costing £30-90 per day whilst the insurers dispute liability? So far you might be in for thousands which may not get paid by the other side!