SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-09-15, 11:43 AM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Oil filter problem

Hi guys,

Just changed the oil and filter on the SV.
When I put the new filter on for some reason the oil filter removal tool was too small for the filter, by maybe 1mm. Maybe I bent it taking off the old filter, but it would still fit over the old one but not the new one??

I've hand tightened the new filter on the bike but there is the most tiny oil leak from the filter. Its not even a drip. I think I need to tighten the filter by about a 1/4 of a turn more max.

What can I use?

I've done many oil and filter changes on this bike but never had this issue.

Thanks
Old 07-09-15, 11:50 AM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You're only supposed to put it on hand tight
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-15, 11:57 AM   #3
pencil shavings

Default Re: Oil filter problem

The Hayes manual says hand tighten and then tighten 3/4 of a turn more with the filter removal tool.
However, I've never tightened it that far as I haven't needed to. I've done maybe 5 filter changes on this bike and never had this problem before.

Problem is that I have hand tightened it but this time isn't providing me with a tight seal - it is seeping the tiniest amount of oil.

Tool doesn't fit on the filter, so I need something else to tighten it up fractionally, any ideas?
Old 07-09-15, 12:17 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Serious tip - put on some Marigolds or other washing-up style rubber glove that fits your hand relatively snugly, that will easily give you the extra grip you need to tighten it another 45 degrees or so by hand.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-15, 12:20 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

Got a leather belt on your trousers?

Wrap it round the filter and feed the belt through the buckle, then pull it round a 1/4 turn with the loose end.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-15, 02:55 PM   #6
pencil shavings

sound like a good plan! I will give it a go
Old 07-09-15, 05:36 PM   #7
Fen Tiger

Re filter size I found that the Suzuki oil filter is 67mm but sellers are offering the 68mm tool for the SV. I think that the aftermarket filters are or may be 68mm. Is this the reason your filter cup socket does not fit the new filter?
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 04:57 PM   #8
deathpunch

K&N filters have a bolt head built in for easy removal and installation.
Old 16-09-15, 09:54 AM   #9
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen Tiger View Post
Re filter size I found that the Suzuki oil filter is 67mm but sellers are offering the 68mm tool for the SV. I think that the aftermarket filters are or may be 68mm. Is this the reason your filter cup socket does not fit the new filter?

That may very well be the issue, I will have to check that for my next filter.

I used a belt to tighten it up a little bit more and it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks