SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2009 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2009 SV650.org's annual rideout

View Poll Results: Are you Mighty with the Sod?
Yes, I am sod-o-mighty, I will lead your endeavor. 3 25.00%
I know nothing of the sod, but am willing to help out. 7 58.33%
Sod off. 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-05-09, 03:43 PM   #1
Bear

Default Fire Building Club

Following on from the delectable Messies wonderful work on organising the AR venue, and even possibly sorting out us having a fire, there is some prep that needs doing before hand.

AFAIK (and this will need confirming) the venue have insisted that in order to have a fire we need to remove the turf where we are having the fire, ensure the fire is contained, and replace the turf afterwards (IE the venue must look as pristine afterwards as it did before we got there!)

Now, I have no experience whatsoever at turfing. I've been told I'm a sod before, and I'm sure that's somehow connected, but I don't think it entirely qualifies me. Has anyone got the know how to guide me and a team of like minded (IE Half-witted) labourers*, and can I have some volunteers to do some of the work? I'm thinking if we go down there the weekend before the AR, remove the turf and fetch firewood then that's most of the hard work done and we can concentrate on getting drunk and letting me have sex at, on, or in all of you lovely people.

(edit)*Please only vote yes to lead if you have experience. The last thing I want is for us to hideously mess up their lawn because we thought "How hard could it be?"...

Last edited by Bear; 18-05-09 at 03:47 PM.
Old 18-05-09, 03:47 PM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: Fire Building Club

I can help if you travel down in the week as I'll be in London, else sod off I'm in Portsmouth and will be busy.
Old 18-05-09, 03:49 PM   #3
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I know sod all too about turfs or are they turves? See, told you i know nothing.

But i do know a good bit of firewood when i see it so count me in for the finding/lifting/carrying bit
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 03:52 PM   #4
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

LOL. You beat me to it Bear!

Maybe some of the Essex peeps have knowledge of wood?
Old 18-05-09, 03:56 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Well as I have done this before I vote for me

We will need, shovels to dig up the turf, if we can put the cut turf onto a tarp then that would be good.

Large stones/bricks

Needed to line the bottom of the fire-pit - must not be porous as any water in them will expand with the heat into steam and cause them to explode (not as cool as it sounds)

Firewood.

Pallets make good firewood but burn too quickly, if we can get real logs/sleepers/telegraph poles then so much the better although we will also need those cut up.

We may get away with using a bag of those logs you can buy on a garage forecourt.

I would suggest a 4ftx4ftx1ft pit, with the fire restricted to about a 2ftx2ft area in the middle using a second ring of stones/bricks for extra safety and to conserve fuel.

No petrol or other accellerants to be allowed near the fire.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 03:59 PM   #6
Jester666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Where's the fun in that?
Old 18-05-09, 04:04 PM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Where's the fun in that?
Because if we have gone to all the hassle of getting clearance from the Landlord, I would hate to have him worry about the ambulances turning up.

Oh another thing we want it some sand-buckets - preferably metal filled with, well sand, prefereably slightly damp

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 04:15 PM   #8
Grinch

Quote:
Oh another thing we want it some sand-buckets - preferably metal filled with, well sand, prefereably slightly damp
Knowing the AR, everything will be damp from the rain.

Quote:
Pallets make good firewood but burn too quickly, if we can get real logs/sleepers/telegraph poles then so much the better although we will also need those cut up.
Local News that week... town phone lines down... all the telegraph poles vanish.
Old 18-05-09, 04:16 PM   #9
Bear

Quote:

No petrol, ex-soho mods with 666 in their name or other accellerants to be allowed near the fire.
Fixed for you. (Hi Paul!)

Righto SK, you seem like our expert, I bow to your superior knowledge. Now we need a team of work monkeys to assist with the grunting.
Old 18-05-09, 04:18 PM   #10
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
We will need, shovels to dig up the turf, if we can put the cut turf onto a tarp then that would be good.
Good post SK, perhaps Messie can ask the site if they have these avilable for us to use and return before we start thinking about lugging big things about on bikes.

Quote:
I would suggest a 4ftx4ftx1ft pit, with the fire restricted to about a 2ftx2ft area in the middle using a second ring of stones/bricks for extra safety and to conserve fuel.

I'd suggest something a little bigger tbh, we want this to be a central/focal point for all and sundry to be able to gather round so needs a fair sized diameter i think for all to enjoy the warmth of the fire.

Sally has GUARANTEEED it wont rain but thats not saying it wont be chilly at night and i think a 2x2ft fire is only gonna accomodate a handfull of peeps comfortably. And we dont want people jostling for space and falling in the fire.

maybe a 6ft diameter circle for the fire to alow for it to be as big as it need to be and if we only need to use 4ft diam of it then great. But circular surely must be the way to go
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote