SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-04-23, 09:11 PM   #1
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Sv650 goat?

https://youtu.be/70ARm6F01vY

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 30-04-23, 06:51 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv650 goat?

I liked the sentiments but not the video itself. No mention that the SV650 was derived from the SV400 JDM? My AL7 doesn't have an LED headlight but does have an LED tail light.

In road tests of the new generation of 270° parallel twins there is always the comment that it makes them sound and feel like a V twin. As an owner of Yam's CP2 engine and an SV, I'm sceptical - one comment I read about the new GSX-8S Suzuki was that it was the most V twin-like of all the current manufacturer's parallel twins.

I wonder how much it costs to build the SV, development costs must have been paid for many years ago.
Old 30-04-23, 08:16 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I wonder how much it costs to build the SV, development costs must have been paid for many years ago.
Suzuki has certainly had good value from the design, as have all of us here.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-23, 09:54 PM   #4
buckstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I liked the sentiments but not the video itself. No mention that the SV650 was derived from the SV400 JDM? My AL7 doesn't have an LED headlight but does have an LED tail light.

In road tests of the new generation of 270° parallel twins there is always the comment that it makes them sound and feel like a V twin. As an owner of Yam's CP2 engine and an SV, I'm sceptical - one comment I read about the new GSX-8S Suzuki was that it was the most V twin-like of all the current manufacturer's parallel twins.

I sold my K8 a year or so ago and missed it dreadfully, so have been looking for a new bike over the past couple of weeks. Got test rides on the Yamaha MT-07, Tracer 7 and the new Honda Hornet. Wanted to like them all, but wasn't hugely impressed. So today I bought an 18-month old SV - which, as you say, is a real V-twin and not something else trying to mimic it. I know the SV isn't cutting edge, but it still does what I need.
buckstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-23, 05:23 PM   #5
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Definitely one of my all time favourite bikes.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 13-07-23, 07:21 PM   #6
rowdy

I haven’t ridden any of my bikes for a while. I have a vfr400r, a triumph tiger 800, a bmw r850gs, and my sv650.
The sv has and probably always will be my favourite.

The reason I bought it in the first place, I had a go on my cousins Honda sp1, and loved the v twin. I bought the sv brand new without even riding one. It was when the pointy was just released, and I was offered a test ride but it was the curvy they had as a demo. I’d sat on the curvy but being 6’2” the tank was the wrong shape for my legs so declined the test ride as the riding position might have put me off. I had sat on a pointy in the showroom which felt more comfortable.

As soon as I picked it up and rode home any fear of disappointment having not tried one had vanished, and I was pleased, and impressed with my new bike. That was 20 years ago and I still have it.

A mate of mine bought a Ducati monster 696 and asked me to ride it back home for him. Being a Ducati, I was expecting it to be the definitive version of what a v twin should be. I’ll be honest, I was disappointed. The engine lacked character compared to the sv. In general the whole bike didn’t live up to its Monster name, and felt to me like a girls bike.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-23, 11:38 PM   #7
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Sv650 goat?

I feel called out... As if I would have a hugely long build thread just about all of the mods I did to my glorious K3!

The chap in the video was a little vague with much of the detail, but at that level, he was going to be. The SV story is so much prettier than than he stated... Well mine is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote