SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-03-24, 10:05 PM   #11
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: carbon fuel tank vent cartridge

My 2023 Transalp has an evap cannister. I assumed it was passive but it isn't. When the engine is off vapour vents from the tank into the cannister. Once the engine is warm a valve opens and allows the vapour to empty into the air intake.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 29-03-24 at 11:05 AM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-24, 10:19 AM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

No poppet valve in the SV650 system ( that I can see anyway ), and the little central spigot in the opposite end to the two pipes is the vent, it is open with a metal mesh inside. The item labelled '5' in Bibio diagram is closed off with a rubber cap, so this looks like a generic EVAP can where Suzuki does not use one of the connections.. I have a feeling newer EURO 5 bikes get the extra valves and complication. Things are getting more complicated all round, now the greenies want ban any garden tool with an engine, despite the fact the average domestic mower is probably used for 30 minutes a week for 6 months of the year..... an average of 15 minutes per week ..... Also despite the fact that the battery on a cordless mower was made in China, traveled halfway around the world on a ship to get here and is full of toxic chemicals that cannot be recycled..

My plan is to re-locate the canister using longer pipes, but leave the connections that same. I already ordered the bits from fleabay, ( hose joiners, spring pipe clips - and already had some silicone rubber tubing the correct size which is about 6.3mm / 1/4 inch )

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-04-24 at 12:49 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-24, 12:44 PM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

OK, I figured it out. The 2016 onwards AL7 ( EURO 4 ) does have a purge valve, mounted under the fuel tank ( see attached PDF photo ) the braid covered hose coming in from Right of photo is one of the pipes from the charcoal EVAP canister. Looking down on the EVAP canister as it is mounted under the seat the hose to the purge valve is the LH hose ( on the nearside of bike ) and the fuel tank breather hose is the centre hose, the RH connection is blocked with a rubber cap held on with a spring type hose clip. With the fuel filler cap closed, if you blow into the fuel tank breather hose you can build up pressure in the fuel tank which blows back out of the pipe when you stop blowing, so that is just a simple connection from the top of fuel tank to the EVAP. The other pipe from canister will not let you suck or blow, this is blocked off by the purge valve ( solenoid valve ) under the fuel tank that opens the pipe to one of the inlet manifolds or maybe even the airbox, so that when engine is running any fuel fumes get sucked back into the engine to get burned. I tried blowing into every connection stub on the EVAP canister ( including taking the rubber cap off the sealed one ) and every port is connected to every other port, including the port on the rear of the canister ( this central rear port will be the normal path for fumes out of the fuel tank when all hoses are connected to EVAP canister and the engine not running - when the purge valve is closed ). What I need now is a 'T' piece hose joiner to connect the two original pipes together and then route a third pipe out somewhere out of the rain ( because water may get sucked into the airbox or inlet manifold if any water gets into end of new tube ). Looks like you cannot simply join the two existing tubes together to bypass the EVAP, because the tank would then try to vent pressure straight into the normally closed purge valve when engine not running. This would cause pressure build up in fuel tank. I have got a 'Y' hose connector and a 6mm connection inline fuel filter off fleabay to route the new exit pipe through to stop any crud being sucked into the purge valve / inlet manifold.... Happy days.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2024-04-13 SV650 purge valve.pdf (86.9 KB, 0 views)

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-04-24 at 03:38 PM.
Old 13-04-24, 12:49 PM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
My 2023 Transalp has an evap cannister. I assumed it was passive but it isn't. When the engine is off vapour vents from the tank into the cannister. Once the engine is warm a valve opens and allows the vapour to empty into the air intake.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

See new post, after more investigation it looks like SV650 has a similar system with a purge valve - every day is a school day...