SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-11-14, 06:56 PM   #1021
Nutsinatin

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

My house is 100 meters down a pathway, when getting parcels delivered I always call the company with the tracking number to inform them that their driver will have to walk 100m to make the delivery or call me to come up and get it from them, providing both my home and mobile number, quite often I'll look at the tracking information to see a failed delivery when someone was sat in the front room which looks onto the pathway and is about 3 meters from the front door. Whenever I question this I normally get the response that I must have not noticed them at the door.

However on one occasion with a delivery from DPD the driver decided that walking was too much effort and calling me would take too much time. So he grabbed the nearest person told them to sign and deliver it, putting my name as signing for it. I complained about the fact that my parcel had been given to a random passerby with no record of who they were yet using my name, so that if I said it didn't arrive they could say that I signed for it. For those of you who were wondering, yes he was stupid enough to do that again next time. I haven't seen him since although I avoid using DPD where possible.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-14, 07:01 PM   #1022
maviczap
Mega Poster

Blimey, I seemed to have kicked a hornet's nest here
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-14, 08:41 AM   #1023
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Blimey, I seemed to have kicked a hornet's nest here
Yep, with the rise in internet shopping we're all expecting more and more parcels delivered. Unfortunately, that means more pressure on the drivers to make deliveries in less than 2 seconds.

In my case it's deliveries to work which don't happen. The drivers look in the gate, see several buildings and decide it would take more than 2 seconds to find the mail room. So they don't even go through the gate (I've checked with security).

Apparently, they couldn't find anyone to sign for the delivery!!
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-14, 09:20 AM   #1024
ophic
Mega Poster

But has no-one realised that by not making a delivery instead of actually taking slightly more time to deliver it, another driver has to re-deliver it? Thus taking more time overall per package and increasing the overall load on the delivery industry?

Or perhaps that's the point - they can extend their own working hours. I actually can't blame them for this - if one man could do the job of two, he wouldn't get paid any more, he'd just put someone else out of a job and his company would pocket the profit.

Sounds like management need to start thinking.
Old 21-11-14, 09:26 AM   #1025
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Or they pop a card through the door saying you have x number of days to collect it from their depo or they will send it back. This is particularly irritating if the depo is miles away and they claim to have already attempted several drops even if they haven't! Depending on how keen you are to receive your parcel it can be tempting to let them do it, but then that can have implications for trying to reclaim a full refund because they argue you should be liable for the shipping costs.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-14, 09:31 AM   #1026
NTECUK
Mega Poster

This is why so many companies are starting click and collect services.
Putting the delivery drivers out of a job
Old 21-11-14, 10:29 AM   #1027
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Yeah, am I right in thinking I saw options on ebay before now where you can have your purchase delivered to Argos for pick up?

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-14, 11:56 AM   #1028
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Yep its on a few of the bigger name sellers.
Ghost bikes springs to mind...
Old 21-11-14, 12:02 PM   #1029
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I used to have loads of trouble with City-Link claiming to have attempted delivery when I was sat in my home-office looking out on to the road/drive all day. I knew full well they had not attempted delivery! I would complain non-stop to City-link to no avail, but when I complained to the MD of Wiggle (it was mainly parcels from them) things were sorted out and they never missed a delivery again.

Don't complain to the courier, complain to whoever sends the parcel if it is an item bought from a shop. The bigger the retailer, the more clout they have with the courier.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-14, 12:10 PM   #1030
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Stretchie getting engaged. I mean he's broken a million [male] hearts proposing to the gorgeous Cheryl.