SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-12, 07:56 AM   #1
fatlad

Default Popping and banging on the over run.

Just a quick question.
Ive been hearing people say that popping and banging on the over run if you have a race zorst on can cause engine wear? Is this true ?
My sv doesnt pop or bang much i get the Odd one pop gearing down but im wondering also how would i get it to happen ?

Thankyou :]
Old 21-10-12, 08:27 AM   #2
-Ralph-

Default Re: Popping and banging on the over run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlad View Post
Just a quick question.
Ive been hearing people say that popping and banging on the over run if you have a race zorst on can cause engine wear? Is this true ?
My sv doesnt pop or bang much i get the Odd one pop gearing down but im wondering also how would i get it to happen ?

Thankyou :]
No it's not true. The SV will pop and bang more with an aftermarket exhaust, but this is just due to slightly less back pressure allowing more unburnt fuel into the exhaust. The SV doesn't generally need the fuelling adjusted if your fitting an aftermarket exhaust that was designed for the bike.

So long as there's not a fuelling problem in the first place, fitting a aftermarket exhaust designed for the SV as per manufacturers instructions, is not going to damage your engine.
Old 21-10-12, 07:52 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Popping and banging on the over run.

Some unburnt fuel will always pass through the engine, a race exhaust won't make any difference to that. A pop in the exhaust is caused by that fuel igniting, a leak in the header will do this, or in the case of many modern bikes including a Pointy SV, (which you may have but you don't say so it's hard to know if this is the case), there is a system called PAIR which introduces oxygen rich air into the exhaust under certain circumstances, to encourage that fuel to burn as an emissions reducing measure. This is the popping and banging heard from the exhaust of many a Pointy, and plenty of Curvys that have a less than perfect seal at the front header sleeve joint. Even with a standard exhaust this happens, but the silencing makes it harder to hear, if I listen very carefully to my SV1000 on standard cans it can just be detected.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-12, 08:12 PM   #4
Thunderace

Ha! Don't panic mate, it's all about the overrun, pop pop bang bang BOOM!
You should hear the Ace! Straight through stainless pipes and a home made can with nothing in it! 60,000 miles and still going strong!
Old 21-10-12, 08:23 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

My bike skips the pop and goes straight to the bang, along with some blue flame too

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-12, 08:28 PM   #6
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Also depends on whether it's popping from the front or back. If it's popping from under the tank worth getting your throttle balance checked and make sure the airbox and throttle body rubbers are fitted correctly.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-12, 08:33 PM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Mine

Pops and bangs, for the reason Sid said. Sid you've got a PM regarding something else

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-12, 09:35 PM   #8
-Ralph-

Triumph have a similar system called SAI which takes fresh air from the airbox to the manifold to ignite unburnt fuel. Even with my OEM fully silenced exhaust on my Daytona, you can hear it clearly.

My Pointy definitely popped more with it's Fuel oval exhaust than it did with the standard can, more than just a difference in silencing. Noticeable difference in high rev performance and power delivery too, it was a freer flowing and less restrictive exhaust.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by -Ralph-; 21-10-12 at 09:37 PM.
Old 22-10-12, 11:43 AM   #9
fatlad

Mine only bangs when she's warm , or gearing down from 5th/6th gear when pinning it lol
Old 22-10-12, 01:34 PM   #10
MarkB852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderace View Post
Ha! Don't panic mate, it's all about the overrun, pop pop bang bang BOOM!
You should hear the Ace! Straight through stainless pipes and a home made can with nothing in it! 60,000 miles and still going strong!
Yep.

I paid good money for that!

Mark