SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-05-17, 08:14 PM   #4471
DomP

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Ours is slow as hell all the time and drops out come about 10.30 most evenings

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 17-05-17, 10:30 PM   #4472
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I live in Hull.The only closed circuit telephone system in the UK,neigh Europe.All telephone/broadband providers have used this unique situation to test their equipment for years but it also meant we were held ransom to the KC Mafia.For years we could only get KC Internet.

However it wasn't all bad as for many many years we had cheaper phone calls,line rental and installation than the rest of the country.We also got ISDN and then ADSL and fibre optics before anyone else.

But then around four years ago a small independent entrepreneur started a Wi-Fi broadband called,"Pure Broadband".

http://www.purebroadband.net/

I got rid of my land-line in 2010 anyway and used those crappy USB dongles as I knew things were changing then around 2013 the Wi-Fi internet came.I have a dish on my chimney.

£15 a month,no long term contract.Fast enough to stream videos or download and watch later.50gig a month limit but for £22 a month unlimited and very very rarely off-line.

My point is check out if there are any small companies in your area offering/Starting up Independent Wi-Fi internet and dump your landline and the,"Big-Boys".

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 17-05-17 at 10:33 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 11:18 AM   #4473
timwilky
Mega Poster

When my mum was in local retirement village. she had massive problems. The complex operator only installed for Kingston Communications. When she ordered a BT line so we could install a couple of IP cameras to ensure she was alright, they discovered that the wiring was dedicated to a KC frame and no bridge was installed to enable the BT feed to get to the residents apartments. KC refused to set up ADSL, copper wiring to the apartments, no fibre. We have internet in the library, we are not putting it to the apartments attitude. In the end we had to move her to a home as we could not guarantee her safety in her own home as no way to check beyond carers visits. KC. What a joke.

The joke I have is that I have a virgin service, 300Mb that is fairly reliable. I also buy TV to 2 boxes and a useless telephone. That useless that the wiring is not even connected. I pay for it as it is cheaper to buy a telephone line package than just to buy tv and internet.
I then buy two sip lines, I have one to the office and the end of the garden and a second to the home. I then also have a 3 line sip trunk to the office Asterisk appliance. This gives me fax and tel that I advertise to work, a private office number and a general purpose office number for non work. The 3 sip line trunk cost me a fiver a month plus negligible call costs as all outgoing is on the mobile call plans. The sip lines are call costs only and probably in the region of £2/month as used for incoming.

Last edited by timwilky; 18-05-17 at 11:25 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 11:19 AM   #4474
DomP

RIP Chris Cornell

Old 18-05-17, 01:31 PM   #4475
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap
Pharmacist told me to rub my golden wedding ring on a stye to get rid of it. Does seem to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Better value to take it to a jeweller tho
The only way to properly get rid of a wedding ring is divorce.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 01:38 PM   #4476
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The only way to properly get rid of a wedding ring is divorce.
That doesn't quite work. I'm divorced. Still got the ring.

*heads off to jewellers*
Old 18-05-17, 06:46 PM   #4477
Kenzie

Internet is still down. Probably won't be fixed until tomorrow. Stupid thing is, not everyone is affected. Seems people with the newer super hub are not affected.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-17, 07:45 PM   #4478
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
RIP Chris Cornell

I heard first thing this morning when my phone started going mad. Had a really busy stressful day at work and then read on the train home that he may have hanged himself which just made me so sad I got really quite upset.

Soundgarden and Audioslave are my go to 'get up and get on with it' soundtrack. Badmotorfinger was on repeat on my New Zealand road trip and I had a Cornell compilation on my Thailand journeys. I saw Audioslave two nights running in London then got offered guest list in Manchester a day later and just jumped on a train and went because they were so good. I always had a massive crush on Chris Cornell. He was beautiful and talented, he shouldn't be dead.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 18-05-17, 07:49 PM   #4479
DomP

We took our two oldest kids to see Soundgarden in the Manchester Apollo a few years back. I spent my youth trying to look like Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder, my two idols.

Old 18-05-17, 09:03 PM   #4480
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
When my mum was in local retirement village. she had massive problems. The complex operator only installed for Kingston Communications. When she ordered a BT line so we could install a couple of IP cameras to ensure she was alright, they discovered that the wiring was dedicated to a KC frame and no bridge was installed to enable the BT feed to get to the residents apartments. KC refused to set up ADSL, copper wiring to the apartments, no fibre. We have internet in the library, we are not putting it to the apartments attitude. In the end we had to move her to a home as we could not guarantee her safety in her own home as no way to check beyond carers visits. KC. What a joke.

The joke I have is that I have a virgin service, 300Mb that is fairly reliable. I also buy TV to 2 boxes and a useless telephone. That useless that the wiring is not even connected. I pay for it as it is cheaper to buy a telephone line package than just to buy tv and internet.
I then buy two sip lines, I have one to the office and the end of the garden and a second to the home. I then also have a 3 line sip trunk to the office Asterisk appliance. This gives me fax and tel that I advertise to work, a private office number and a general purpose office number for non work. The 3 sip line trunk cost me a fiver a month plus negligible call costs as all outgoing is on the mobile call plans. The sip lines are call costs only and probably in the region of £2/month as used for incoming.
Ah yes.We love the KC Mafia in Hull

Try saying anything negative about them in the local rag and it won't get printed.I wonder who owns the most shares in it<grin>

If you don't hear from me again,you know why