SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-17, 10:12 AM   #1
Taipan

Thumbs up My first pointy

Hi All,

I commute into London on a Sh300 scooter which does the job fine, but I decided I'd like a bike sitting there for the occasional blast on. Having owned 2 or 3 SVs before I thought i'd get another.

So i looked on eBay and gumtree etc and up popped a pointy for a grand! It was an S but had been converted to a N after being thrown at the scenery. 32k mile with no service history but it had just gone through an MOT with 2 advisories, rear pads and front tyre on the limit.

I wasn't expecting much from a pointy for that money and i'd enjoying tinkering about with it, so I beat the other interested parties to it and got her bought. Riding it home was okay once i'd pumped up the tyres from 7psi front to 28 in the rear. Sigh.

Seems responsive and pulls well but if in traffic at a slight throttle with high revs it feels, err, uneven? Seems to burble through the exhaust in an odd way. I'll check the TPS setting and TB balance to see if they're okay, particularly the TPS as its clearly been moved.

New rear pads fitted an a matching (part worn for now) tyre on the front was done. Front pads are new and calipers see to operate freely. Its had new head bearings and the C&S seem fine. Forks were sticking up about an inch in the yokes, so i've put them flush again. New oil and filter today and i found it has a K&N in the air box, which wasn't dirty but has been cleaned anyway.

It has LED indicators which will be replaced with mini ones that have a bulb. Also the rear light has built in indicator strips which flash when indicating. Thats going too and a standard one will be fitted.

The main problem is the made up speedo bracket which appears to be made out of two skinny strips of metal that cant even hold the speedo up and it bounces about and rests on the twin headlights, which will also be going in favour of a round one, so i'll have to make up some better bracketry for the speedo assembly.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on a bit there! Its good to be back in the SV saddle again. Here she is.

Last edited by Taipan; 01-03-17 at 10:14 AM.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 01:35 PM   #2
SV650sKent

Default Re: My first pointy

If you are interested I have a complete front end fairing, headlights indicators cluster bracket. Also got a OEM rear brake light all of a K3 S pointy same colour!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-17, 02:06 PM   #3
Northern Biker

Your dog stole the picture
Old 01-03-17, 03:50 PM   #4
Taipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650sKent View Post
If you are interested I have a complete front end fairing, headlights indicators cluster bracket. Also got a OEM rear brake light all of a K3 S pointy same colour!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wanted a naked, but thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Biker View Post
My special needs JRT!

I desperately need to lower the footpegs on this bike. Best way to do this?
Old 01-03-17, 04:46 PM   #5
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
First thing I saw too !
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 08:58 PM   #6
Northern Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
I desperately need to lower the footpegs on this bike. Best way to do this?
Get some adjustable rear sets, or riser plates but flip sides so they lower the pegs instead.
Old 02-03-17, 10:41 AM   #7
Taipan

Quote:
Get some adjustable rear sets, or riser plates but flip sides so they lower the pegs instead.
Found the guy from Hungary who does the riser plates but he hasn't any SV ones at present. Searching the forum I see the Buell ones are an option and also found the lower pegs below. Anyone using these?

Old 02-03-17, 01:29 PM   #8
Redmist

Quote:
Flipping the riser plates will probably see the rearset clashing with the exhaust on the right hand side, I looked at it on mine and it wouldn't work.

Nice looking bike!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 01:56 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

I've got some Buell ones I never got round to fitting. I think they need a little bit of fettling before they slide into the foot peg holder.

£27 posted?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 01:57 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Flipping the riser plates will probably see the rearset clashing with the exhaust on the right hand side, I looked at it on mine and it wouldn't work.

Nice looking bike!
Yep, I had the same problem on my curvy, fouled the headers on my Micron system
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote