SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-17, 11:45 AM   #31
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2009 fast idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Has anyone tried a FFT app to measure the engine speed, presumably the dominant frequency would be quite easy to spot.
Worth a try, but there are some issues:

tickover is 1300rpm. That's about 22Hz which is right at the lower edge of the range these things are designed to detect.

Four stroke cycle fires every 2nd rev. So that's now 11Hz for a single cylinder.

Uneven firing intervals of a vtwin - so you've got 2 11Hz frequencies overlaid on each other which doesn't make 22Hz cos they're unevenly spaced.

Engine noise - huge bunch of other stuff going on, which are all bang bang or tap tap, rather than a nice smooth sine wave.
Old 17-05-17, 01:25 PM   #32
aesmith

Did you check the throttle cables? Try slacking both off to make sure there's not something holding the throttle open a little.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 02:56 PM   #33
bs8c

I think this might be the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwxZga25YfY I need to find out how to adjust the needled correct.
Old 17-05-17, 06:05 PM   #34
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs8c View Post
Hmm...when you take off the tachometer, remove the needle, and install it again. On the next start it should do a little dance...move to 7k rpm than back to 0, right?
no... full power loss to the tacho (like disconnecting it) will not result in the needle doing a dance. i think you may have shorted something.

so let us get this right, you have removed the tacho needle some time ago and now your bike is revving higher?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 07:35 PM   #35
Red ones
Mega Poster

So how do you know it's ticking over at 2000rpn?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 09:55 PM   #36
bs8c

Well..this is the problem. I`ve been into this "problem" for some time and I might have forgoten to mention some facts. When I bought the bike...the first thing I did was strip most of it. Fix some plastics and other bits and pieces, and changed the led lights on the speedometer. And to be honest..before I open the speedometer, I didn`t even pay attention to the idle. So here is a short clip from my last trip. Maybe you can hear it idling and tell me if it`s all in my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRoq...ature=youtu.be
Old 17-05-17, 10:13 PM   #37
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Well..this is the problem. I`ve been into this "problem" for some time and I might have forgoten to mention some facts. When I bought the bike...the first thing I did was strip most of it. Fix some plastics and other bits and pieces, and changed the led lights on the speedometer. And to be honest..before I open the speedometer, I didn`t even pay attention to the idle. So here is a short clip from my last trip. Maybe you can hear it idling and tell me if it`s all in my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRoq...ature=youtu.be

I use Firefox browser.Open two tabs,one with your vid and one with this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwscv0tHvzM

run them side-by-side.Sound pretty close to me so it's not the engine.As per previous post you may have to go back to the clock and move the needle.PITA but.....
My 10 Penn'th/2 cents.
Old 17-05-17, 10:37 PM   #38
bs8c

I actually did that like 1 hour ago...sound pretty close to me too.
I guess the needle was the problem all the time..and I spent 1 week in the garage checking all the sensors and studying the manual.
At least I learned more about the bike than I already knew
Now I just need to find some good guide how to position the needle to be precise and everything will be great.
Old 17-05-17, 10:41 PM   #39
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Quote:
I actually did that like 1 hour ago...sound pretty close to me too.
I guess the needle was the problem all the time..and I spent 1 week in the garage checking all the sensors and studying the manual.
At least I learned more about the bike than I already knew
Now I just need to find some good guide how to position the needle to be precise and everything will be great.
As per my other post there's no fixed ting methinks.Just open up the clock.Get the engine warmed up.Delicately remove and replace the needle until you are happy.

"All the technology in the World cannot defeat a bent penny in a toilet pay-slot"
Old 17-05-17, 10:53 PM   #40
bs8c

I`ll just leave it as it is for now, and try to fix it the next time I have the need to remove the front fairing. There is no need to remove the plastics AGAIN for this.