SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-13, 12:31 PM   #1
Mako

Default Curvy ticking noise, vibrating gear lever, can't start on choke

'alo

I've had the Curvy for a bit now and I've noticed a few quirks.

Firstly, there's a ticking noise coming from the front of the bike when I'm going above 20mph. I guess the closest thing to describe it as is the sound made when you're winding something up, just on loop. This is my first bike, so I've no idea if this is normal or not. I just remember suddenly hearing it one day and I can't recall if it was there before or not.

Secondly, the gear lever sometimes vibrates like the nuts when I'm trying to go from second to first or from neutral to first. I wouldn't really question it if I was moving at the time with some RPM going, but this is me stock still at lights or something. My idle is set to a touch above 1 - am I just being too gentle with it?

Also, I can't start the bike with the choke on. It just doesn't have it. I have to start with it off and then wind the choke on. 9/10 times, it cuts out the first time and I have to take the choke off, start it again, then put it on. Second time is almost always the charm. Obviously, as mentioned before, this is my first bike, but everything I've read has the choke on before starting the bike up.

Is any of that not normal?
Old 20-03-13, 01:43 PM   #2
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Default Curvy ticking noise, vibrating gear lever, can't start on choke

The ticking, I'm not sure if I'd worry about it. Mines doing exactly the same thing! Really hard to describe but you got the nail on the head. It almost sounds like its coming from inside the tank?

And the choke thing, from what you've described and going from my experience on other bikes, the whole 'cutting out first time' is normal I think. It did it with my 125's nearly every morning.
Someone else here will probably pop up and prove me wrong on everything, but I wouldn't be worrying too much.
LewSpeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-13, 06:17 PM   #3
drewby89

Default Re: Curvy ticking noise, vibrating gear lever, can't start on choke

I hear the ticking on my front cylinder too. Even when stationary I can open the throttle to bring the revs up and I'll hear it, usually in the 3000 rpm range. Above that, the general engine/exhaust noise is too loud so I can't hear it.

I've noticed SV's have a loud cam chain and valve gear system, i.e. there's more noise coming from the cylinder head on SVs than some other bikes, but I don't think it's anything to worry about as long as the engine is running fine.

What mileage is your bike? There's a valve clearance check scheduled for 15,000rpm on the bike where valves are re-shimmed if the clearance is too large.
Old 21-03-13, 01:02 PM   #4
daveyrach

The ticking noise will be the Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) it is common and is not normally anything to worry about, the rear does not tick as it is bathed in more oil.

The gear lever sounds as though in my opinion that the clutch is not disengaging properly and its the gears grinding on each other causing the vibration.

The choke could be choke plungers, you will need the fuel tank and airbox off to see if they are gunked up and give em a clean.
Old 21-03-13, 07:44 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Sounds like it needs a service.Choke plungers carb balance air filter and plugs.When was that last done?Also the SV needs a healthy battery to start in winter.Anything less and it will play up.