SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-08-13, 10:01 PM   #1
steady2wheels

Default sv650, time for a fresh model suzuki

The long selling, very successful sv650, a cult bike with a huge loyal following. The current model has gone much unchanged for the last 10 years, with a short break after suzuki decided to replace it with a model that went away from everything that made the sv650 so successful.
So my question is why hasn't suzuki updated the sv and do they have an intention of doing so? Also can they do it without coming up with another abortion like the gladius, although the japanese are usual oblivious to what its customer base wants. Make it light, simple and fun, simples. If they did it correctly id be first in line
Old 28-08-13, 11:02 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: sv650, time for a fresh model suzuki

the SV is coming to the end of it's life and i personally think there will be no more and the glady will take over with the introduction of a full faired version.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 11:19 PM   #3
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Nope, they just need to bring the old moulds and jigs out from storage and start production of the original and best looking SV650 again. Sure they will have to add FI to it but that's not too difficult as that's already been done on the later model.

Good for another 10 years.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-13, 07:58 AM   #4
Owenski

Think you're confused SH.
The best looking version, the pointy already had FI
Old 29-08-13, 08:04 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

All money.

They had the best frame. It cost a sodding fortune.

So they got rid of the bent pipe fabricated bits and made the pointy... which is a couple of cheap ars* die castings welded together.

But ally is expensive... so they looked at how chinese 125's are put together... and made the gladius from some bits of bent steel... then covered up the resulting 'orrible mess with some poncing plastic...
Old 29-08-13, 08:28 AM   #6
Spoon

I would hope that with the success of the supertwins class someone (be that Suzuki or Kawasaki) launches an 'R' version of the sv/er with decent suspension and slightly tuned engine out of the box. Can't see this happening though as BHP seems to sell premium sports models and the sv is clearly still an entry level/budget bike so different target market.

Unfortunately my curvy is approaching the end of its life and at some point will need to be replaced. I love that bike but it has taken a lot of work (and reasonable amount of money) to make it the bike I wanted. No way I would go back to riding a standard sv now and due to circumstances I no longer have the time to heavily mod a bike to turn it into what I want.

This added with the fact that I have no interest in 600/1000cc il4s means that my next purchase will likely be from a european manufacturer (Ducati/KTM/Aprilia?) and suzuki will lose me as a customer - a shame because I really rate their spares distribution which (in my personal experience) is leagues ahead of Aprilia at least.
Old 29-08-13, 08:34 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
their spares distribution which (in my personal experience) is leagues ahead of Aprilia at least.
Really not the best accolade there lol.

Like saying their reliability is better than ducati, or their directors touch less kids than Jimmy Saville...
Old 29-08-13, 04:19 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the SV is coming to the end of it's life and i personally think there will be no more and the glady will take over with the introduction of a full faired version.
This.
The pointy will go on the Euro 4/5 emission regulations come into force fully, which is 2014/15 IIRC. As the engine is built to Euro 3 requirements, a curvy wouldn't even comply as is was built pre the requirements.

If they do any changes with anything, it'll be to suit tyres as 120/60 is a little used size now. At most new front which will be a parts share with the GSR750

If they built and 'R' version it would be probably double the price of a standard with a set of hot cams and Supersport derived suspension

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-13, 04:29 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

biggest problem with suzuki is they like to play the upgrade game and therefore build bikes like the gladdy to entice new riders into the suzuki camp. once there the shop sales floor takes over, add to that the bullshizz published in mags and your average Joe thinks that they have to upgrade in order to have a 'status/street cred' in the biking community.

the gladdy and the SV are classed as a 'stepping stone' bike so if suzuki were to bring out a v-twin with good suspension and brakes people might not be so tempted to upgrade.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-13, 04:34 PM   #10
ChrisCurvyS

I think the new Yamaha naked triple thingy will pick up where the SV left off.

850cc, 115bhp and 62lbft for under seven grand? Even if the fixtures and fittings are a bit on the cheap side, should be a good base to work from.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote