SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-05-19, 09:19 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Union Pacific "Big Boy"

The world's largest steam locomotive is the Union Pacific Big Boy (a 4-8-8-4), it is articulated to allow it go around curves. They were built to take freight over the Wasatch mountains (Utah/Wyoming). At full steam it could exhaust its tender in 2 hours (25 tons), no fireman could keep up with its need for coal so it used a mechanical auger to supply the firebox but in the proper facility it could be reloaded in 8 minutes. This one, #4014, has just finished being refurbished and is on a test run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nIawf-FK8M
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 10:55 AM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Union Pacific "Big Boy"

That is truly awesome - but emissions may be a problem LOL

On a slightly smaller scale, but well used around the world where steep grades, narrow gauges and sharp curves and axle loading of the track was limited the Beyer-Garratt enjoyed great success - they had one on the drawing board to have 115,000 lbs tractive effort ( biggest ones up till then were about 80 to 90,000 lbs ) - like the Big Boy they were articulated, they came in various sizes and some with 16 driving wheels. I can remember seeing them in South Africa, Rhodesia and Australia - they were unmistakable, both for the 'off-beat' exhaust sound ( like a V twin ) and the water tender at the front, I think some of them had a mechanical stoker as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfqDyOjIOMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UitOupBEYgc

http://www.theheritageportal.co.za/a...att-locomotive

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-05-19 at 03:00 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 02:59 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Thought I would never see the end of this train - I remember stopping at a crossing in Pennsylvania and having a long, long, long train go past - Europe may have faster trains but for sheer awesomeness you have to look at American stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRrzC-JBzfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3VjUp9oz8o

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 03-05-19, 03:59 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

I don't know if all the locomotives are the same on that hill start but if they are all EMD 70Ace they're each rated at 4300 hp, 3 leading and 2 helping; that's a lot of grunt.

Speaking of emissions, take a look at another Union Pacific engine, a 4-6-6-0. I'm wondering if this was running on oil (take a look at the 1:08 point).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHI5VHBwIfI
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 06:32 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

OMG they didn't get that much smoke when Mt. St. Helens erupted.

Old 04-05-19, 08:06 AM   #6
keith_d
Mega Poster

That is one big mofo of a loco.

Did anyone else notice that there was an SD70AH weighing around 195 tons coupled on the back instead of a brake car. I guess the Big Boy would take quite a bit of stopping if there was a problem on a down grade.

(Or maybe they were worried that they might have to push it home)

Last edited by keith_d; 04-05-19 at 08:09 AM.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 08:53 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

It's usual on steam specials on the UK mainline to have a class 47 bolted on the back in case of breakdowns. It can often help as a banker in rubbish weather and to set off from a standing start depending on the gradient.

Having your own Thunderbird loco with you is much easier than waiting for one of the class 67 units kept on standby around the network.
Old 05-05-19, 11:07 AM   #8
keith_d
Mega Poster

Sad fact for today - there is actually a unit called "Thunderbird" and it has been used as a standby loco.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 11:15 PM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Sad fact for today - there is actually a unit called "Thunderbird" and it has been used as a standby loco.
If your on about in the UK, there's 5 iirc. All class 66 or 67 diesels

Now that is sad!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-19, 04:52 PM   #10
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

There are a few 57s used as Thuderbirds too, a few have Delner couplings fitted so they can rescue Pendolino's if needed.