SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-04-19, 06:18 AM   #1
Kenzie

Default OMO: Computer help

Good morning all, my faithful old pc decided to die last night. It's either a hard drive failure or the motherboard. It was the old 1156 Sandybridge board which had the issue with the sata controller, so I have a feeling that the controller has failed. So the question is so I buy a new tower or go for a laptop? I like the odd but if gaming, but a lot is photo scanning so I would need decent storage. I have looked at a couple of options but since its been at least ten years since I built my pc I am a little out of the loop. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan...1tb-ssd-win-10 or https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173-...1-aplusc-win10 (for 829.99 you can get the same laptop with a 1th hard drive) my concern with the laptop is heat from gaming. Any thoughts?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 07:57 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO: Computer help

Since I've just bought a new Lenovo laptop and verified that it has poor battery life (as per the reviews) and the screen colour representation is bad, I'm not the best person to ask. Still, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.

Given the way you use a PC, I would have thought a tower would be better since they're easier to update/modify. The laptop fetish for lightness/thinness makes them less robust (imho), although my new one has an aluminium case. Having had the hinge supports rip away from the bottom of the (plastic) case on my last laptop (which still works), I'm reluctant to open/close the lid on my new one.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 08:47 AM   #3
daktulos

I have a laptop because I don't have anywhere for a computer to be set up permanently (and use it on my lap in front of the TV), but I don't play games on it (except Civ 3 which I haven't played for ages ...). Playing games on your lap can get uncomfortable due to the heat.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti in the laptop looks a little underpowered for modern gaming and is probably something you can't change out.

If you have a place for it, I would replace the tower. I would also get more than 8GB RAM.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 09:26 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The modern fetish for laptops is crazy unless you need a portable computer, people are attracted by the style and kudos of having the latest slimmest laptop but apart from my works laptops I have always bought towers for my own PC - you get far more for your money and they are easier to fit extra memory and generally are more future-proof than a laptop ( they always say you can upgrade but you never can ).

Apart from having a docking station ( or keep plugging monitor in and out ) for laptops you are stuck with a fairly small screen and I hate laptop keyboards with a vengeance, much rather have a full size and don't get me started on those touchpads - get a proper mouse...

Our mini-tower came with a 2Tb hybrid HDD - part SSD and part magnetic - I have a older seagate 3Tb and more modern 2Tb external drive for backups and at least once a month ( or after I have made a change ) I take a full image of hard drives of our computers with either Acronis True image or R-Drive. I have used Acronis image a couple of times to restore my computer after drive crashes and a couple of times when installing larger drives - just fitted the new drive ( didn't format it ) and loaded the image onto it, all data, programs and settings good as new. Many people back up data but never think how they would restore all the programs on their PC if it crashed big time.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-04-19 at 09:42 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 10:05 AM   #5
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Many people back up data but never think how they would restore all the programs on their PC if it crashed big time.

sudo apt-get install <package_1> <package_2> <package_3> etc.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 10:09 AM   #6
Kenzie

How about something like this https://www.ebuyer.com/881568-erazer...op-pc-10022409

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Old 16-04-19, 11:50 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
I had a couple of medion computers from Aldi ( Aldi used to be the best computer shop in town ) and they were well built with quality components - I had a medion laptop for work and it was good, but as usual the battery got less and less capacity and I could not get a replacement - so it became a plug-in laptop.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 06:43 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

I'd still prefer a tower for my main PC, and I'd still prefer to build it myself, as then it's not filled with junk programs that I don't want or need.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-19, 06:47 PM   #9
Kenzie

I'm in the process of making a recovery disc on the wife's Mac in the vauge hope that the mbr has been damaged and just needs fixing. The recent update from MS has caused a lot of problems for people and mine has died a few days after its last update. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Old 16-04-19, 06:48 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

I'm still on Windows 7
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote