SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 30-07-13, 01:44 PM   #1
M65

Default Donnington - Tips Required

Further to my last request for advice, I once again consult the mighty Org, but this time for tips and help on how to tackle Donnington. I'll be riding a fairly standard engine wise K3 with Pilot Power 3s that have only done one trackday and Kais fettled suspension. What should I be expecting?

Cheers
Old 30-07-13, 03:09 PM   #2
mase_tw

Default Re: Donnington - Tips Required

Would love to do Donnington just being from london its just such a drive up there !
Old 30-07-13, 03:46 PM   #3
M65

Its still a couple of hours or so away from me but it has to be done!
Old 30-07-13, 03:53 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Was there last year, I can confirm that it's a bit of a trek from London, but that the garages and facilities are decent.

And waterproof.

I'd love to chat about the circuit but by lunchtime we'd been told the day was a write off due the the torrential rain, we all loaded our still stone cold bikes back up and went home.

Jambo
Old 30-07-13, 08:00 PM   #5
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Was there last year, I can confirm that it's a bit of a trek from London, but that the garages and facilities are decent.

And waterproof.

I'd love to chat about the circuit but by lunchtime we'd been told the day was a write off due the the torrential rain, we all loaded our still stone cold bikes back up and went home.

Jambo
Sounds similar to my day at Caldwell a couple of weeks ago. The garages there are awesome and..... oh, hang on
Old 01-08-13, 10:30 AM   #6
Whitty

Still on my to do list. Some lads I know did it earlier this week and loved it. I just can't justify the price when I can do cadwell for £90-£100 or enter 2 race classes at 3 sister for £95.
Old 01-08-13, 11:12 AM   #7
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitty View Post
Still on my to do list. Some lads I know did it earlier this week and loved it. I just can't justify the price when I can do cadwell for £90-£100 or enter 2 race classes at 3 sister for £95.
I got the Moto3 package from Focused Events late last year. 3 trackdays of my choosing as and when I please for £325. Seemed reasonable enough. Donnington will be the last of the 3 after Oulton and Cadwell.
Old 01-08-13, 01:09 PM   #8
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Short shift between the first and second corner, this sets you up for the whole downhill section. If you get it right that whole section flows, get it wrong and you struggle to keep your line or speed! The corner before dunlop straight is blind, most people turn far too early as you can't see the apex, use your first session to get your turning point here sorted and it'll set you up nicely for some overtakes down the straight. Don't be a wuss and back off under the bridge, keep it pinned, grip with your legs and be prepared for the front to raise or at the very least go light!

Not sure what changes were made to the track during the upgrade works but I don't think any of these corners were touched.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 01:16 PM   #9
phil24_7
Mega Poster

You guys need to try living down here. It is a minimum of 3-3.5 hours to get to any decent tracks!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
Old 01-08-13, 01:17 PM   #10
phil24_7
Mega Poster

In fact scrub the short shift from 2-3 as the SV will probably be fine and I imagine you would have changed gear before the corner anyway.