SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-09-07, 02:52 AM   #1
monkey

Default Anyone know about building garages?

I'm planning on moving early next year and NEED to either get a house with a garage or with the room for one.

What solutions are there for an easy, cheap (resaonable) but solid garage, ideally that I could erect with a mate? I remember helping to dismantle one that was concrete but made from panels that slotted together a la tongue and groove in a sideways fashion. Can these be bought still?

Failing that can anyone guestimate how much it'd cost a bricklayer to knock one up?
Old 05-09-07, 05:38 AM   #2
falc

Default Re: Anyone know about building garages?

If your putting up a brick garage, check with the council and your neighbours about putting it up, its classed as a permenant structure so has different laws to it then a normal wooden shed.

To build a single garage I have no idea, budget for a couple of grand maybe
Old 05-09-07, 05:48 AM   #3
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Not really up on buliding stuff, but I'm sure I heard that wood is better than concrete in some respects because wood breathes, so less chance of condensation and a damp bike.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 07:09 AM   #4
Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
I'm planning on moving early next year and NEED to either get a house with a garage or with the room for one.

What solutions are there for an easy, cheap (resaonable) but solid garage, ideally that I could erect with a mate? I remember helping to dismantle one that was concrete but made from panels that slotted together a la tongue and groove in a sideways fashion. Can these be bought still?

Failing that can anyone guestimate how much it'd cost a bricklayer to knock one up?
we bought one of these prefab things for £130 on ebay, once you have a level concrete base down the putting up of the garage is relatively easy, so long as you and your mate are strong!

ps: there is plenty of air flow, without leaks so breathability is not a problem.

Here's a pic:

no side views I'm afraid
Old 05-09-07, 10:44 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Why do you want a garage?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 10:50 AM   #6
gettin2dizzy

lots of lego?
Old 05-09-07, 10:52 AM   #7
petevtwin650

A few years ago I bought a garage from these people

http://www.comptonbuildings.co.uk/?g...FQMfEgoduHTrZA

To get around the regulations on the caravan site I lived at at the time they supplied a 4ft wide door instead of the usual up and over door. Ideal for a bike only garage. I also got a dehumidifier as the bike did stay wet for days after a ride in the rain.

Best pic I could find

Last edited by petevtwin650; 05-09-07 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-09-07, 12:45 PM   #8
skint

Try doing a search on here as there have been a number of posts regarding garages and carports and the regulations which might be useful before you proceed at full steam...
Old 05-09-07, 02:03 PM   #9
kwak zzr

cuz had a brick garage built from scratch and it cost around 5k with a flat felt roof and would have been more with a tiled apex, he phoned council planning and they said as long as it was 5m away from the property he didn't need planning. as petevtwin650 said compton building are very good ive got something very similar.
Old 05-09-07, 02:37 PM   #10
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skint View Post
Try doing a search on here as there have been a number of posts regarding garages and carports and the regulations which might be useful before you proceed at full steam...
Wot he said, sound advice, sadly not sound enough to convince mrs stewie, ah well.....