SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-07, 05:22 AM   #1
phxryder

Default Breaking in 2006 SV650S?

Hi everyone, brand new here just signed up today. I just bought a brand new 2006 sv650s friday, and I have heard different schools of thought for breaking it in.

The dealership told me keep it under 5k rpms, on and off the throttle, constantly varying the rpms until 500 mile servicing. They are the ones who have the warranty, so of course I have been taking heed to what they recommended.

However, when speaking with my brother who rides an '03 sv650s and my friend who has been riding various 600cc bikes for over 3 years, they give me contradicting info. They say that I need to redline it a couple times before the 250 mile marker so that my rings will set all the way, getting the most horsepower out of my bike.

My question is, will redlining it a couple times before the 250 mile marker set the rings better? or will it damage the bike?

I currently have 100 miles on the bike, and haven't redlined it yet. I obviously want the most horsepower out of my bike, and want to break it in properly. Any advice would help out, thanks alot!
Old 11-06-07, 07:21 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Breaking in 2006 SV650S?

Welcome to the mad house!!

Running in is dubious, and it differs depending on who you talk to, and the alignment of the solar system.

I ran in my K6 around this time last year. In my situation, my commute involves a lot of straight line high speed stuff.

I as advised as you, keep to 5k rpm & vary the throttle for the first 600miles (first service). Then keep to 8k rpm until 1000miles. Then ride normally.

Before the 600mile mark, I strayed up to 10-11k rpm but only VERY breifly during overtakes etc when I needed the power. Before the 1000mile mark, I was hitting the limiter quite a bit (but not as much as I do these days).

I've had no problems with power output being low, or the engine being damaged (that I know of). Just make sure you change the oil/filter regularly (as in, every 3500miles as per schedule - not every service needs it, most do).

My bike has now covered 21k miles, and is going strong. The best you can do is keep using it, and ride long rides on it. Short rides damage the engine more because it spends more time running cold (on startup) than it does if you go for a long ride.

Of course, your engine could be completely different to mine as they were more than likely assembled by different monkies.
Old 11-06-07, 07:41 AM   #3
adw

My manual says upto 5500 rpm for the first 600 miles. That extra 500 rpm takes me from 68 upto 77 mph so I do tend to use it. I'm tending to change up very quickly as it hits 5000 ish. Will be lovely when i can use full revs and avoid the quick gear changing.

Should be more fun then.
Old 11-06-07, 08:25 AM   #4
Keith1983

Im running my k6 in at the minute and its the first bike I have run in, I have spoken to lots of people on the subject. It seems to be the consensus that you are reasonably safe straying over the 5500rpm limits as prescribed by the manual as long as you're not doing it often and in a violent manner. I intend to stick pretty closely to the manual after all since Suzuki built the bike I reckon they should know what they're doing!
Old 11-06-07, 08:47 AM   #5
adw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1983 View Post
It seems to be the consensus that you are reasonably safe straying over the 5500rpm limits as prescribed by the manual as long as you're not doing it often and in a violent manner.
Oh yeah i revved mine to 10k when i missed a gear change, didn't realise, proceded to (try) and accelerate and all I heard was roar!!!!!

Wasn't under any load though

Makes me desperate to rev it more now though.
Old 11-06-07, 12:38 PM   #6
Steve_God
Mega Poster

I'm no expert... but from what I gather, the only professionals that say to redline it all the time to 'get more horsepower' from it, seem to be those who use bikes on the track, and aren't too fussed about reliability.

Those that tell you do be 'gentle' with it, seem to be those that are expecting the bike to last a long time (main dealers and manufacturers who want the bikes to have a good reputation for good sales.)

Personally, I was gentle with it. Went over the exact guidelines little by little, in progressive steps throughout the 1000 mile run in, rather than being quite as presciptive, and power most certainly isn't an issue!

And I'd rather trust engineers advice who are paid to make the bikes last as long as possible, than a spanner monkey who'll wreck a bike for 2 extra bhp
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 03:22 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I'd go by what the dealer says,but not be too finicky about it.Straying slightly over the limits won't do any harm,especially if it stops the engine labouring at too low revs in too high a gear.That is definitly bad for any engine,running in or not.
Old 11-06-07, 06:11 PM   #8
2mths

Personally I think that with a modern engine unless you're really ham fisted or deliberately set out to abuse it you're unlikely to do much damage either way. I'd go somewhere in between. Gentle movements on the throttle when closing it not just when opening it (ie don't excessively engine brake) be gentle to start with but by the time there's 200miles on the clock be revving it past 5k but no I probably wouldn't take it to the red line except by accident. As others have said don't sit at constant throttle\speed lots of gear changes (with the clutch please) and try to enjoy it!

Anecdotal tale of running advise from a dealer to a new R1 purchaser:
Purchaser "What he should I do to run it in?"
Dealer "Don't red line it"
Purchaser "That sounds harsh, I don't want to thrash it"
Dealer "Thrash it!? Haha"

Ok so we're talking about a completely different beast and I haven't told that very well but it still makes me grin.
Old 11-06-07, 09:22 PM   #9
remf179

I stuck to the info in the manual and wot the dealer said when running my k6 s in. They know the bikes so probably best to follow the guidlines.

All run in now and goes great, love it!!
Old 11-06-07, 09:51 PM   #10
2mths

Some dealers know a lot. Some know F' all.