SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-18, 08:37 PM   #11
EliteAlex

Default Re: New bike help! What constitutes high mileage? Query about servicing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
on modern engines 25k miles is the point the engine is properly bedded in, especially IL4's.

properly looked after 25k is the point that most bikes need a good old FULL service including brake pads, chain and sprockets, valve adjustment, suspension components etc.etc and maybe this is why idiots are saying get rid of it coz they dont want to spend money. these same people are the ones that dont change oil and filters at the proper service intervals then moan because their bike breaks they have probably never even held a spanner or read their handbook.

a "service" is not just an oil and filter change and a bit of grease splashed hear and there but most people dont want to spend the money getting it done properly.

most bikers should know how to do basic servicing then advance onto more difficult stuff as the bike needs it. tools are just as important as the bike but tools last a lifetime if you get the correct ones. when starting out you buy tools as you need them for the job your doing on the bike.

dealer service stamps in a book mean shizz.

my sv650 has 38k miles on the clock and i can guarantee its in just as mechanically sound than when it came out the showroom as i keep on top of servicing it PROPERLY.

so the upshot is if you dont have tools or know how to use them or like many others dont want to get your pretty hands dirty or dont want to learn then buy a brand new bike, "cant cook, wont cook" springs to mind.

That's reassuring to hear. I quite agree with the servicing. Learn as you go. I'm quite comfortable doing the oil, filters, spark plugs etc. and have done previously, but wouldn't feel confident enough to do more complex things like fork services etc.

"Look after you bike, and it'll look after you" also seems appropriate! haha
Old 05-07-18, 09:00 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: New bike help! What constitutes high mileage? Query about servicing too.

if you can do a basic service you can do everything. it just takes longer.

"if its broke, you cant break it any further and all you can do is try and fix it" is my motto. another is "no fekin bodges, get it done right"
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 09:01 PM   #13
Talking Heads

Gone are the days when forks had drain plugs at the bottom and changing the oil in them was a 20 minute job.
And just exactly why is there a need for all that daft rear suspension linkage with no grease nipples when twin shocks do the job just fine?

Don't get me started on underbucket shims.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 09:13 PM   #14
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Gone are the days when forks had drain plugs at the bottom and changing the oil in them was a 20 minute job.
And just exactly why is there a need for all that daft rear suspension linkage with no grease nipples when twin shocks do the job just fine?

Don't get me started on underbucket shims.
heheheeee..

dont get me started on fekin shims'n'buckets full stop. there was nowt wrong with the good old rocker arm. yes they needed adjusted more often but you didnt have to strip the whole fekin top end down and reset the timing chain adjusters.

i liked the over bucket shims that you got on some volvo cars etc.etc. they were a joy. push the bucket down, pull the shim out and pop a new one in only trouble is you had to buy new shims...

Ducati has the best idea
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 12:35 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Nothing to worry about.
Service history just means someone has stamped the book....
Correct, that dealer service stamp is just a stamp, means very little, and certainly does not mean a proper service has been done. Having said that even though a modern service may just be an oil change (and filter if you are lucky) at least it had some oil changes.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote